Please sign in to post.

Tangier Day Trip

I will be spending two or three days in Sevilla before heading north to Madrid. I would like to do a day trip to Tangier as part of my overall experience in the region before heading to Madrid. I realize that it is a couple of hours by car to the port in Tarifa to catch the ferry. My question is, has anyone done this before and do you have constructive advice to offer? My wife and I are used to trips that are tightly scheduled but full of experiences due to time limitations, so I do not need lectures about leisurely experiencing travel. We are not affluent or retired and vacation time is not plentiful, so time is a big factor. Thanks in advance.

Posted by
6887 posts

Most people on here would argue against such a day trip. The 'experience' you get from such a hurried visit to Tangiers is, basically, a hassle. Tangiers is not the best that Morocco has to offer, simply put. The time is much better spent on a day trip to Córdoba.

Posted by
11147 posts

Add that day to Sevilla or Cordoba. It would be similar to going to a US/Mexican border town like Tijuana. Go to better parts of Morocco on a trip dedicated to the country.

Posted by
16893 posts

I don't know what check-in deadline the ferry schedule or ticket may give you, but do allow time to park your car, pick up your boarding pass, and go through the EU exit-stamp procedure at the port. You can't just hop onboard. If arriving by bus, the first departure is usually about 9:00 from Sevilla to arrive 12:00 at Tarifa.

I recommend that you sleep at least one night in either Tangier or Tarifa, not return to Sevilla. See also this recent trip report.

Posted by
9 posts

We were there last week but did this as an overnight, not a day trip. I think a day trip would work, but an overnight might be better. Definitely leave time for parking your car in Tarifa - we had planned to park in the ferry lot but it was full (we were on an afternoon ferry, that may make a difference). Google maps was helpful in identifying other near parking lots, and the 3rd one we tried had space.

If you are trying to use time efficiently, make sure that on the way to Morocco you get your passport stamped by getting in the line as soon as you board the ferry (don't wait until you've arrived). Also, on both ends, be proactive and get yourselves off the boat early. On the way over we stood in the stairwell for ~10 minutes and were one of the first ones off. On the way back we got lazy and were almost the last ones off, and paid for it by spending over an hour in the customs line back in Tarifa.

Posted by
15 posts

I know you have had a lot of replies against going to Tangiers in a day, but we did it and had a great time. We drove from Nerja to Algeciras and took the ferry crossing to Tangier. Once in Tangier at the port we hired an official tour guide, they carry a card to show that they are registered. There was a group of 4 of us so we split the cost and him and his driver (in a mercedes van) took us all over Tangier showing us the sights, he recommended a good restaurant and introduced us to the manager etc. He returned for us later and then we did some more sightseeing, a camel ride and finally some shopping! All in all I think was a great way to experience Tangier. I personally felt it gave me a good overview of the city and would recommend doing it in one day. I think Tangier is an experience and I am glad I did it but I've not been in a hurry to go again. Personally, I prefer visiting new places in Spain. But you guys might love it.