Please sign in to post.

Suggestions for traveling west from Barcelona in late March 2018

In March and April 2018, we are visiting our daughter who's doing a semester abroad in Granada. We have 21 days in Spain. She's joining us for 9 days during her spring break. On the front end of the trip we will fly to Barcelona for 4 days. From Barcelona, we are thinking we'd like to explore the Catalonia region or Aragon as she wants to see this part of Spain as her college tours are primarily in Andalusia. We would like to take a scenic route and see some of the smaller interesting villages. We are thinking the coastlines will be chilly so we're thinking more inland. Does anyway have recommendations for us? We enjoy history, natural beauty, food & wine, and experiencing local culture. We will have 10 days at the end of our trip to explore the Andalusia region. Fly home out of Madrid. Thank you in advance for your help.

Posted by
1 posts

I would recommend going through Pampalona and then on to San Sebastián. It is a beach town but also a foodie paradise. The old town is very charming and full of the wonderfully delicious tapas bars and shops of course. There are also a few Michelin star rated restaurants to choose from. From there you can pick from many great towns to visit in the Basque Country. As you get back and closer to Madrid, make sure to stay in Salamanca. Another wounderful old town. If you head south from Barcelona then I would recommend Valencia. It is a wonderful mix of old and new. Enjoy you trip!

Posted by
7175 posts

Let me confirm ...
1. Your trip is a total of 21 nights.
2. Starting with 4 in Barcelona.
3. Finishing with 10 in Andalusia.
4. Leaving 7 nights to be filled in the mid section.
Is this correct?

Day
1. From Barcelona by train to Girona (1)
2. Train to Zaragoza (2)
3. Zaragoza
4. Train to Teruel (1)
5. Train to Valencia (2)
6. Valencia
7. Train to Tarragona (1)
8. Return to Barcelona & fly to Seville/Granada

Posted by
6 posts

We actually start in Grenada on March 21, where our daughter lives, and fly into Barcelona on the 24. Barcelona, March 24-27. So, we have March 28-April 1 to explore areas from Barcelona. April 2-7 we will be Andalusia and in Madrid from the 8-11. Home on the 11th.
I'm thinking the train route must be scenic? How would you modify it for 5 days?
Thank you for your suggestions!

Posted by
6 posts

Thank you, CKFrost for your suggestions. I've heard great things about all those towns you've mentioned. We just have five days in-between Barcelona and Andalusia. Trying to figure out the best options is difficult, so many wonderful places to explore!

Posted by
7175 posts

2 variations here.

Mar 21..arrive Granada (3)
Mar 24..fly to Barcelona. (4)

Mar 28..train to Valencia (2)
Mar 30..train to Teruel (1)
OR
Mar 28..train to Girona (2)
Mar 30..train to Tarragona (1)

Mar 31..train to Zaragoza (2)
Apr 2..train to Cordoba (2)
Apr 4..train to Ronda (1)
Apr 5..train to Sevilla (3)
Apr 8..train to Madrid (3)
Apr 11..fly home

Posted by
6607 posts

Not sure if you are driving or using public transportation or how far west or south would be acceptable. Near Pamplona is Olite and its castle, Sos del Rey Catolico birthplace of King Ferdinand, Soria, Siguenza, Ucero and its castle and ermite de San Bartolome, Teruel, Cangas de Onis, Picos de Europa and the sanctuary of Covadonga, and Santillana Del Mar are some places I can think of off the top of my head. Getaria (fishing port) and Zumaia (flych rock formations and ermite de San Telmo) are right on the north coast. For many of those locations you’d need a car.

Posted by
6 posts

Thank you all for your suggestions. I saw from another forum that this winter has been the coldest in Spain in 7 years. A person was recommending to the traveler to head south because the Andalusia weather is one of the warmer spots in Feb/March. Thanking we maybe we should do that also....

Posted by
27204 posts

I'm a very weather-focused traveler and would certainly head south to Andalucia if I went to Spain in February/March, but I think Barcelona is usually fairly moderate. Yeah, I know; snow this year. Madrid and the central plateau are generally chillier than Barcelona in the winter.