Please sign in to post.

Spain tops UN's 2022 world’s best tourist villages ranking

Hi all, stumbled upon this interesting article while browsing the Guardian. The UN World Tourism Organization’s released their list of 32 best villages worldwide for small community tourism. The "Best Tourism Villages" initiative aims to combat rural depopulation, advance gender equality, innovation, infrastructure and investment, and reduce regional income and development inequality -- all while enacting sustainable tourism, and reducing emissions and waste. The villages on the list have a "clear commitment to innovation and sustainability in all its aspects -- economic, social and environmental," said UNWTO in a statement.

Quite surprised that Spain tops the list, with three awarded villages, including my all-time favorite medieval Catalan village of Rupit (yay!) plus Alquézar in the Pyrenees Mountains of Aragon and Guadalupe, known for its UNESCO designated Royal Monastery, in the underrated Extremadura region. I have yet to visit Alquézar. Maybe will inspire those of you looking to explore more rural tourism of Spain.

Here is the full list, UNWTO’s best tourism villages 2022:
Zell am See, Austria
Wagrain, Austria
Puqueldón, Chile
Dazhai, China
Jingzhu, China
Choachí, Colombia
Aguarico, Ecuador
Angochagua, Ecuador
Mulu Ecovillage, Ethiopia
Mestia, Georgia
Kfar Kama, Israel
Sauris-Zahre, Italy
Isola del Giglio, Italy
Umm Qais, Jordan
Creel, Mexico
El Fuerte, Mexico
Ksar Elkhorbat, Morocco
Moulay Bouzerktoune, Morocco
Lamas, Peru
Raqchi, Peru
Castelo Novo, Portugal
Pyeongsa-ri, South Korea
Rasinari, Romania
Al’Ula Old Town, Saudi Arabia
Bohinj, Slovenia
Rupit, Spain
Alquézar, Spain
Guadalupe, Spain
Murten, Switzerland
Andermatt, Switzerland
Birgi, Türkiye
Thái Hải, Vietnam

Source: https://www.theguardian.com/travel/2022/dec/28/spain-tops-worlds-best-tourist-villages-ranking-with-three-awards

Posted by
6918 posts

That's a very eclectic list! A nice change from usual lists of "must-visit" places. I do recognize quite a few names on the list, but I have only been to Alquézar - @Carlos, you should visit! The Sierra de Guara is beautiful.

Posted by
3910 posts

Hi balso, yes a very refreshing change to the usual hyper-commercialized "best of" lists. I'll be sure to add the Sierra de Guara to my list. I think I actually drove by it enroute to the next door Castillo de Loarre a few years ago.

Posted by
6597 posts

I spent 25 days in Spain this year and have enough places on my Span “to visit” list for another couple months. Two of the three places listed were on the list. I added Alquézar and the Sierra de Guara that Balso mentioned.