Please sign in to post.

Spain September 2019

My family of 4 (children are young adults) will be traveling to Spain from September 16-26. I thought we would fly into Barcelona and out of Madrid. My husband likes the countryside rather than big cities. Is there a nice area south of Madrid that we could stay in and easily do day trips to other cities we might want to visit? Also, my son wants to see a bullfight. I see Madrid has them on Sunday's, which would necessitate two trips to Madrid since we are flying out of there. Are there areas in the southern part that might have them also?

Thank you in advance for your suggestions!

Posted by
6788 posts

Have you been to Spain before? If so, where? If not....have you done much/any homework about what's good in Spain (hint: I'm guessing the answer to both questions is "no" since you appear to not be aware of the best sights in the country - if I'm guessing wrong, apologies, ignore my assumptions).

Start with this: be honest with yourself about how many days you really have to spend. The dates you list above (September 16-26) - is that your actual, usable time in Europe? Or is that how long you'll be away from work/home? It makes a difference - especially on such a short trip as yours. My concern would be that you don't have enough full days in Spain to really do much more than just Madrid and Barcelona. By all means, do NOT book flights yet until you get a better handle on what you want to do/see.

Posted by
27112 posts

Do you plan to rent a car or use public transportation? Spain's AVE trains are very fast and will get you from Barcelona to Madrid to Cordoba to Seville much, much faster than you can drive. One problem you'd likely run into by staying out in the country and visiting cities by car is finding and paying for parking. If you just want to visit rural areas (not see cities), that's a different story.

I'm not positive about your timing, but I am guessing you plan to depart from the US/Canada on September 16, arrive in Barcelona on September 17 (a day when at least some of you, perhaps all, will be severely sleep-deprived and jetlagged), and fly back home from Madrid on September 26. That would mean only eight really usable days for sightseeing (September 18 - 25), and I would not try to squeeze in Barcelona, Madrid and the south.

You could easily spend all of your time around Barcelona or around Madrid, taking interesting, and varied, day-trips. You wouldn't necessarily need or want a car.

I haven't been to Andalucía recently, but I think something similar could be done from Seville (Cordoba, Jerez, Cadiz, Ronda, white villages), but you would almost certainly want a car to get out to the villages. It could still be quite hot in Andalucía in late September. I recommend taking a look at actual day-by-day temperatures from Sep 2018, Sep 2017, etc., on timeanddate.com. I have Iinked to the stats for September 2018, and I see that it hit 100F on the 24th.

Madrid and Barcelona are both large cities. Barcelona is perhaps the more challenging because there are many sights so popular that you will find yourself elbow-to-elbow with other visitors. That may make your husband really uncomfortable.

Posted by
3904 posts

Hello, first off I would strongly recommend that you spend September 21 - 24 in Barcelona. During this time Barcelona will be celebrating its annual city festival, La Mercè. The festival itself is huge, there are 100s of events spread throughout Barcelona's squares, streets, museums, and parks. The best part - all the entertainment is free! This is something that locals put on for themselves, not just for tourists. If you want to experience Barcelona like a local, at least for a few days, this is a great opportunity!

During La Mercè, make sure to check out the Castellers, which are human towers built by teams of the local communities. Also something that is really cool is the Correfoc, which I would describe as a pyro-musical with synchronized fireworks, there is usually a big one at the base of the Montjuïc mountain.

As for Bullfighting, (something I'm not fan of) there are still plenty of Bullfights in Southern Spain. Take your pick of any of the cities in Andalucía: Granada, Sevilla, and Córdoba will all have them. The most famous Bullfighter, Manolete, is from Córdoba, so that may be a good place to see one.

The thing with staying in a house in the countryside in Spain is that you will need a car to get around. Instead, I would recommend you pick a smaller city to stay in, that is well connected transportation-wise, my pick would be Toledo. It's less than 1 hr south of Madrid and is very picturesque, it was the old capital before Madrid. You can take the train into Madrid and then connect to other trains to take you to your day-trips, like Cuenca or Salamanca, although those towns could merit a few days themselves.

Posted by
7283 posts

I’ll list the smaller towns that we visited during our 3-week trip to Spain that could make your short-list: Toledo, Cordoba, Ronda

Carlos mentioned a local event that I would definitely want to attend. We try to go to any local festivals because they’re fun, and we’re participating with locals and seeing more of the culture of a city. But, if you aren’t interested, you might want to just fly round trip to Madrid and head south. We took the train immediately after landing at Madrid to stay at Toledo for two nights. Afterwards, we took the train to Cordoba and then Sevilla, etc. You could save Barcelona for a second trip.

Posted by
1 posts

My friend and I went to Spain this past September for 2 weeks. We opted to not go to Barcelona. We flew into Madrid, took the AVE train to Seville. There, we enjoyed the Basilica Macarena, Alcazar, a flamenco show to name just a few things that your children would also enjoy. From there, we took the train to Nerja. We enjoyed a leisurely day at the beach, getting around a 'smaller' town, took a day trip to Granada for the Alhambra, enjoyed seeing the white villages. We ran out of time to visit the caves, but that would have been fantastic! From Nerja, we took the train to Madrid. The Royal Palace, Prado, Reina Sophia were all great visits!

We didn't want to see the bullfights. But we truly enjoyed our itinerary - not rushed and we were able to see lots of art, architecture and absorb the culture. The trains are great transportation; you are able to see great scenery from the trains as you travel. I highly recommend ordering any train, museum or palace tickets on line ahead of time. That saved us so much time from waiting in line. I hope you have a great trip!

Posted by
6539 posts

Was in Barcelona in 2006 for La Merce. It is a must. It was crowded, but it didn’t seem to matter to anybody. The castellers were in Plaza Jaume and it was wall to wall people. Watch you belongs. Carrefoc seems like an accident waiting to happen with all the fireworks and sparklers going off only feet from the crowd. It too was amazing. There are events every day. A bull fighting calendar can be found at servitoro.com. It’s a site where one can buy tickets, but for your purpose I’d use it for the calendar only. Buy your tickets when you get there in case plans, or the fight schedule, change. If you want a specific city, search on the terms “city name” bullfights 2019. In addition to the large cities, there are fights in many smaller towns. I enjoy a good bullfight, but wouldn’t attend regularly. My wife does not like them at all.

Posted by
362 posts

I enjoyed the Costa Brava region north of Barcelona. Memories of the various Salvador Dali sights, especially Portlligit his home, Figueres Museum. If you like his works, you’ll love the home & museum he designed himself.

Posted by
7175 posts

Keep it simple ...

Sep
16. Arrive Barcelona (4N)
17.18.19. Barcelona
20. Fly to Sevilla (3N)
21.22. Sevilla
23. Train to Madrid (3N) ... via stop in Córdoba to visit the Mezquita
24. Madrid
25. Toledo day trip, or Madrid museums
26. Depart Madrid