Please sign in to post.

Spain/Portugal itinerary

My wife and I are thinking about a trip the first 1/2 of November 2018. We will have about 15-18 days to tour respective countries. (Spain/Portugal) we will probably want to focus on Madrid south in Spain. We will be traveling from the US.

1. Is this to much to do.
  2. Can we do it by train or should we rent a car? Or combinations would be better.
  3. Any suggested itinerary would be appreciated

Thanks in advance,
Vaughn

Posted by
15584 posts

I know it's counterintuitive, but Spain and Portugal don't combine well, because there are very limited transportation options between them. There are no fast trains and driving can take hours and hours, plus if you don't drive a loop returning to the first country, you are dinged with a very hefty drop-off fee. Most people fly between the two countries. I haven't been to Portugal yet, but I've been in Spain 3 times in the last 5 years and there is plenty to fill up 15-18 days in and around Madrid and in Andalusia.

Spanish trains are the best way to get around with one exception, that I'll get to in a moment. Renfe is the name of the train system and it's very good but there are a lot of choices and their website is not the most user-friendly. It's best to read this article first and then refer to it when you use the website.

My ideal itinerary would be Madrid, Toledo, Cordoba, Sevilla, the pueblos blancos (white hill towns) and Granada. It may be best to fly round trip Madrid (AFAIK it's the only airport, other than Barcelona, that has direct flights to the US), depending on where you live. If you decide to include Portugal, then fly open-jaw Madrid/Lisbon.

If you include the pueblos blancos in your trip, that's the place a car will be useful. Use it between Sevilla or Cordoba and Granada.

Posted by
38 posts

I agree with Chani's advice. I have been to Spain 5 times, twice as a student in Salamanca. I am planning a trip in April with my husband and we will be taking the train extensively. The Spanish rail system is excellent.

Make sure to get your tickets well in advance for the Alhambra in Granada. Ideally get a tour guide, the "insider" knowledge greatly enhances your visit.

Barcelona is not a must for me. We are not going. It is a lovely city, but I prefer Madrid. It is old world elegant and vibrant. If you must go to Barcelona make sure to plan a day trip to Figueres to the Dali museum. It is definitely worth the side trip!

Posted by
22 posts

I d have made a trip purely around Spain without joining Portugal for now. It might be too much. Spanish rapid trains are perfect but can be something pricey (depends on the destination) compared to the local airlines (like Vueling) when the tickets are bought in advance.
If you have decided to travel by train, it is better to buy the tickets in advance not to find yourself without a ticket the day of your departure (if it s a highly demanded day due to something, the trains might be full), though also possible to do so right at the stations. I d have primarily focused on Madrid and Barcelona, Valencia (to spend a couple of days, there is not that much to see except for the city centre and Ciudad de las Artes y Ciencias) and then would have gone towards the south. San Sebastian and La Rioja are worth seeing also (the latter for some winery tours) if you can add them.
The north and the south of Spain are very different in terms of architecture, people, traditions, everything. It worths comparing. Just remember that November can be chilly and rainy in the northern part!

Posted by
412 posts

Pick one country.
We just completed a 3-week trip to Portugal and loved it.
We are planning a 3-week trip to España in 2018.

Posted by
27120 posts

I think your plan to do the Madrid area and points south is fine. I hope you are able to use the full 18 days, because I think you'll find it rather tight if you have only 15. Toledo is worth at least two nights so you don't have to rush through a day-trip, and there are at least two other great destinations in Madrid's orbit (day-trips more viable for them): Segovia and Cuenca. Research Cuenca to see whether you'll want to include it. If so, it's important to snag one of the bargain AVE fares as soon as Renfe puts them on sale. Otherwise, the trip will be far too slow by local train or far too expensive with a full-fare AVE ticket.

If you had more time, I'd suggest the seldom-visited Extremadura area, but for the time you have available, the area around Madrid and Andalucía sound just right. Definitely no Portugal on this trip.

Posted by
16893 posts

There's not much train service along the north or south coasts of Spain, as it's more of a hub-and-spoke system. You'll get a rough idea of that on our map at https://www.ricksteves.com/travel-tips/transportation/trains/spain-rail-passes (where the dashed lines are bus routes) but the rail maps in any guidebook or online will be more detailed. In Rick's book, the end of each chapter summarizes transport options to the next cities covered in the book, which should be adequate for this stage of planning.

Buses can be a fine, comfortable option to fill in these blanks, but as you get further along in your planning, you're likely to find a few routes where the schedules are less convenient (e.g., the pueblos blancos, as mentioned above).

Posted by
6543 posts

If you only plan on visiting the major cities, then public transportation would probably be best for most of the trip. If you want to visit some “off the beaten path” places, or if you don’t want to be dependent on a train or bus schedules, then rent a car for a portion of the trip. While Portugal could be visited, there is enough in Spain to easily fill 18 days. You don’t want to be so rushed that you can’t enjoy the places you visit. I always have a rental car in Spain, except for Madrid, just because many places I go (castles, hermitages, very small towns, etc,) are not regularly served by public transportation.

Posted by
7175 posts

If you are looking for an 18 night itinerary encompassing just Madrid and Andalusia...

1. Arrive Madrid (5N)
  2. Madrid
  3. Day to Toledo
  4. Madrid
  5. Day to Segovia
  6. Fly to Granada (4N)
  7. Visit Alhambra
  8. Granada
  9. Pick up car ... Day to Las Alpujarras
  10. Drive via Nerja to Malaga (2N)
  11. Malaga
  12. Drive to Ronda (2N)