Please sign in to post.

Spain & Portugal

We are traveling from Spain through Portugal in June for 18 days. I’ve been getting conflicting information on wether you can rent a car in one country and leave it in another. Does anyone have a definite answer?
Thanks Lori

Posted by
1582 posts

Hey Lori,

You can drop a rental car in one country if you've rented it in another and if you find a company operating in both countries but expect to pay a higher rental rate and a big drop fee. If you can put up with a little inconvenience, you can drop the rental car off at the border line of the country you rented the car, take public transportation across border over to the next country you plan to visit and pick up the new rental there to continue your journey. The latter can save you money.

Posted by
6113 posts

In Portugal, I always use a local car hire company that doesn’t have any offices in Spain, but if you are using a multi national company such as Hertz or EuropCar, then you will be able to return the car in another country, albeit they will charge a hefty one way drop fee as the car will have to be repatriated.

Some of the cars that I have hired in Portugal have allowed me to drive in Spain for no extra cost, but others have charged an additional daily fee. The car has always been returned to Portugal.

Posted by
27112 posts

I have reported this spam, which is littering the forum today.