Please sign in to post.

Spain - May, 2016

Hello everyone!

I am planning a trip to Spain in May of 2016. Initially I thought of doing 3 cities - Madrid, Seville and Barcelona but have dropped it down to two cities only. Barcelona and Seville. We (my partner and I, two AA women) will be there for 9 days, 5 days in Barcelona and 4 in Seville. I am looking for:

1. Lodging recommendations for both cities. Places to avoid mainly. But on a budget.
  2. Must see sites.
  3. Must eat at restaurants.

Also we are flying in and out of Barcelona which is adding extra confusion when we come back to Barcelona for one night before departing the next day. Should we possibly land in Barcelona and head directly to Seville? FYI: We are arriving on a Wednesday and wanted to spend the weekend in Barcelona.

I've looked at the AVE in regards to traveling between both and am actually excited by that process as well (southerner, we don't do trains to much).

1. How far in advance would you recommend purchasing tickets?
  2. What is the difference in pricing if purchased on the day of?

Thanks in advance!

Kat

Posted by
140 posts

Hi Kat,
I am going to Barcelona in September, so I can't comment on Barcelona yet, but I can comment on Sevilla which I travelled to from Madrid (via Ave) a few years ago. I loved Sevilla! It is a very walkable city with lots to see. In Sevilla, we toured the Alcazar (Palace and gardens) and booked a walking tour with a guide recommended by Rick Steves in his guidebook. The guide was Concepcion (www.sevillawalkingtours.com), She was excellent! We booked her city tour and the Cathedral tour with a climb to the Giralda Tower of the Cathedral afterwards. A stroll through the Barrrio Santa Cruz (Jewish quarter) is a must do. Great atmosphere with lots of restaurants and tapas bars. We also saw a flamenco show which Concepcion recommended and actually booked tickets for us (We asked her for Flamenco show recommendations and she kindly recommended a show and called on her phone and reserved tickets for us). Our favorite tapas bar was Taberna Coloniales (I believe it is now called Los Coloniales). The food was very good and it was very reasonable! We liked it so much that we ate there twice. It does, however, get very crowded. I can't say that I would recommend our lodging. We stayed in Corral de San Jose Singular Apartments. We were on a long trip so I wanted to be able to have the opportunity to wash clothes and the apartment had a kitchen and a washer and dryer combo. The apartments were very centrally located, roomy and reasonably priced, however, the bedroom closet smelled moldy and the shower seemed to run out of hot water rather quickly. If you PM at the end of September, I can give you some feedback about Barcelona. Terri

Posted by
7175 posts

My favourite places to eat in Barcelona ...
Bari Gotic (near cathedral) Cafe De L'Academia (Placa St Just, Carrer dels Lledo, 1)
El Born (near Picasso museum) Tapeo, anem de tapes (Carrer de Montcada, 29)
Eixample (near Casa Mila) Cerverceria Catalana (Carrer de Mallorca, 236)

Posted by
984 posts

Q1
1. Is this a €20 or €200 per person a night budget? What do you expect of this lodging?
2. Anything that you like the sound of in your guide book that interests YOU and not me.
3. Anything that you like the sound of in your guide book, but If you eat solely at restaurants you will be missing a great deal.

Q2
1. If you want the large discounts you purchase promptly when the schedules and prices appear,which could be 90 days before the journey.
2. I suggest you find one of the many guides available on the net on RENFE and purchase.

Posted by
15582 posts

Lodging - In Barcelona I stayed at Pensio2000. It was cheaper than anything else I found in Barcelona and was fine. It's "different." I would definitely stay there again. I think it must have been a large private apartment (3rd floor walk-up) that was remodeled. There are about 6 rooms of various sizes, all with private bathrooms. It's run by a middle-aged couple who are very friendly and helpful. If you want more information PM me. The location was excellent, a 5-10 minute walk to the Barri Gotic, Ramblas, markets and literally across the street from the Palau de la Musica (a must-see). The street itself was very quiet at night. I traveled solo in Barcelona and Andalusia and was never anywhere that felt unsafe.

Sights - In Barcelona, I had a list of museums (I love museums), but the weather was beautiful (February) and so was the city, so I didn't visit any! I'm not a big fan of Gaudi, so the only building I toured was La Sagrada Familia. Montaner is much more "up my alley" and I went to his buildings: Sant Pau Recinte Modernista, Casa Lleo i Morera, and the Palau de la Musica, loved them all. The Font Magica (Magic Fountain) in the evening for the sound and light display. I took one TI morning walking tour and it was very good. Their website gives a lot of information. Consider a 1/2 day trip to Monserrat or a day trip to Girona, easy to do on your own by train. One of the best things I did was a guitar concert for €19 (with 4 artists - excellent music and entertaining show).

Sights - In Seville, the top sights are the Alcazar and the Cathedral. For me the best part of the cathedral was climbing the tower for the view. The show at La Casa del Flamenco was quite good and less touristy (and less expensive - €15) than some of the others. Be wary of recommendations from tour guides and hotels that offer to make the reservation for you, they may be getting a kickback. Visit the bullring and its museum (chances are there won't be any bull fights while you are there). The absolute, hands-down best sight is a day trip by train to Cordoba to visit the Mezquita. Since the train to Barcelona goes through Cordoba, you could also stop for the day on your way back from Seville, storing your bags at the station (maybe the bus station across the street from the train station). You would buy separate tickets for each leg of the journey. The Mezquita is best first thing in the morning if you can pry yourselves out of bed for an early train ride.

Food - Dinner in Spain generally doesn't start before 9 or 10 p.m. You can get big lunches from about noon-2 p.m. and tapas any time. In Seville, the best tapas (I rely on the word of a knowledgeable local) are at Bodeguita Casablanca (calle Adolfo Rodriguez Jurado 12) very near the Alcazar and the cathedral. I also had good tapas at Bar Las Teresas. In Barcelona, you can graze for lunch or dinner (or buy for a picnic) at the markets. There's the huge Boqueria which attracts the tourists and the big Mercat de Santa Caterina, that is not far away and is frequented more by locals . . . and somewhat cheaper.

I don't really see any option to splitting your time in Barcelona. Trains in Spain are great. Plan to be at the station about 15 minutes before the train leaves, so you have time to find the platform and pass your bags through security. You will get huge discounts by buying tickets in advance, usually 3 months out, but it varies. The best website for using the trains and navigating the website is here. It's long, but it will tell you everything you need to know.

Posted by
2768 posts

I have been to both, but it's been several years since Barcelona.

Lodging - my Barcelona info is out of date. In Seville, I like El Rey Moro. It's not expensive, but I wouldn't call it budget, either, so that depends on what exactly you can spend. I have also used air bnb and you can get pretty good prices there. I think Barcelona has been cracking down on those, though I haven't heard anything about Seville. In general, location matters. Avoid staying too far out from what you want to do.

Sites - in Barcelona, Sagrada Familia is key. I like Parc Guell, and some of the houses by the architect Gaudi. Also, the barri Gotic neighborhood. Seville - the cathedral and the Alcazar are the top sites, and ones I would say don't miss. Be sure to climb to the top of the cathedral for great views, both of the cathedral's spires and roof, and of the city. I also like the Seville riverfront - Triana neighborhood. You also want to see a flamenco show. Finding "real" flamenco in a bar would be great, but that'd pretty hit or miss. See a show - I like Casa de la Memoria. It's not a dinner show, it's just a great singer, dancer, and guitarist doing their art. Finally, be sure to wander the barrio Santa Cruz, preferably in the evening for tapas and dinner.

As for the AVE - buy at least a few weeks out if you know your itinerary (schedules are released 2-3 months ahead and if you buy very early - like 3 months - you get the best deals). Tickets do sell out if you wait until the day of (not often, but if that happens you're stuck), so at the very least buy when you arrive in Barcelona for a few days later. Prices do go up the longer you wait, but I can't remember how much.

Posted by
565 posts

Do not miss the Alameda de Hercules in Sevilla. The Rick Steves Spain 2014 guidebook didn't make any mention of it, but it was a pleasant surprise. It's a long row of tapas bars and specialty shops with cute fountains and plenty of outdoor seating. It's about a 15-20 minute walk from the Barrio Santa Cruz and a 10-minute walk from the Basilica Macarena.

Posted by
11 posts

Afternoon Terri,

I will definitely reach out to you in October to see how Barcelona went! I'm excited for you by the way. :) I've written down all of your recommends for Sevilla including the Plaza which has excellent reviews on Trip Advisor. I've debated on the need for laundry or not and am leaning toward it mainly because I want to pack light to avoid all the airline fees for extra baggage which is really normal baggage.

Kat

Posted by
11 posts

Thank you djp_syd! I'm writing them all down and salivating a little as well :)

Kat

Posted by
11 posts

Afternoon Chani,

Pensio2000 appears to be very popular and booked..lol I love Museums but seriously think I could overdose easily in Spain so I plan on picking and choosing wisely and minimally. I'm more into people watching and of course dining. After the posts listed here I think a walking tour is definitely in order. The late dining, now that's something I'm going to have to really adjust but for excellent tapa's I think I can!..lol Thank you for the train tip!

Kat

Posted by
11 posts

Thank you Mira & Emily!

Everyone actually. I'm making detailed notes and checking out every recommendation. To answer the question regarding cost. I didn't want to spend more than $120 a night for lodging for either city. There appear to be a lot of places that fit that bill on the surface but.....

Kat

Posted by
6 posts

I have only been to Seville, so.
1. Lodging - We stayed at the Hotel Maestranza this past march and they really took good care of us. Can't recommend them enough (plus you are less then a 3 minute walk to the cathedral square).

1. Sights to see - Cathedral, Alcazar, Plaza de España and Casa de Pilatos.

2. Food - There are two basic types of dining out in Sevilla: going for tapas (small portions generally between 1,50-4€) or heading to a restaurant for a more traditional meal. Best tapas: Los Coloniales (calle Jimios, corner of Garcia de Vinuesa), very near the Cathedral. Best restaurant: Horacio (calle Antonia Diaz), serves mostly Andalusian dishes, with a few variations.

Posted by
15582 posts

Kat, I don't believe they are booked for May 2016 unless there is some huge event scheduled in Barcelona on your dates. It's much more likely that they just aren't taking reservations yet, and probably haven't even set their rates. I would email them and ask when to contact them to book for next May. Their email is infocartas@pensio2000.com and tell them you were referred by a wonderful woman who stayed with them in February :-)