Please sign in to post.

Spain itinerary suggestions

We have already planned 3 nights in Madrid in May, having the next 3 nights free/open before spending 3 nights in Barcelona (considering the gothic area) and ending with 4 nights in Tenarife Canary Islands. The question is where to spend the our 3 open nights-do we go to Barcelona for 1 night then drive to a castle in Cardona for 2 nights or is there something else we should consider?

Posted by
27154 posts

I'm guessing you haven't allowed time during your Madrid stay for any of the wonderful side-trips you can easily make from that city: Toledo, Segovia, and Cuenca being my favorites. Each is worthy of a night or two, but each can also be visited on a day-trip. Any of them would be a nice break from the hustle and bustle of Madrid. There are small but significant art museums in Toledo and Cuenca if that happens to be an interest of yours, but my reason for going was their very picturesque historic districts.

From Barcelona you can make day trips to Girona (also worth one or two nights) or to Montserrat. I have not been to Cardona, so I can't comment on that destination.

I hope you aren't planning drive from Madrid to Barcelona. It will take over 6 hours (the train's just 2-1/2 hours), plus you'll spend time picking up and dropping off the rental car and navigating strange cities. And then there's the cost of parking. There's quite a lot of unremarkable scenery around Madrid. Although a car might be handy for the trip to Cardona, it's the only destination I've mentioned where a car might be useful.

If for some reason you feel you must drive, Zaragoza is worth a stop.

Posted by
7175 posts

Maybe forget a 3rd location.
And I would say 4 nights as a preferred minimum in Barcelona for a first time stay.

If you are an art museum person ...
Madrid (5 nights)
- with day trips to Toledo and Segovia
Barcelona (4 nights)

If not ...
Madrid (4 nights)
- with day trips to Toledo and Segovia
Zaragoza (1 night)
(take an early train from Madrid, then a late train to Barcelona the following afternoon)
Barcelona (4 nights)

Posted by
2942 posts

For those interested: CARDONA. Cardona has an impressive castle as well as an old salt mine worthwhile visiting.

For history buffs:

The Castle of Cardona (Catalan: Castell de Cardona) is arguably the most important medieval fortress in the Principality of Catalonia. It is situated on a hill overlooking the river valley of the Cardener and the town of Cardona. The fortress was initially constructed by Wilfred the Hairy in 886. It is in both the Romanesque and Gothic styles, and includes the so-called Sala Dorada and Sala dels Entresols. During the 14th century, the dukes of Cardona came from the most important family of the Crown of Aragon, which was second only to the royal house. Because of this, they were called “kings without crowns,” as they had extensive territories in Catalonia, Aragon, and Valencia, and dynastic ties with Castile, Portugal, Sicily, and Naples. This presumably increased the importance of the castle.

In 1714, even after a siege by Spanish and French troops destroyed a good part of the castle's walls, the garrison -led by Manuel Desvalls, colonel of the Catalan Army and governor of Cardona- was one of the last to surrender to the Bourbon troops which supported the Spanish king Philip V. As the Spanish Bourbons and their heirs would go on to suppress Catalan national identity, the fort has become significant to Catalan nationalism. Every year, around Set 18th -date of the fall of the castle- commemorative events take place in Cardona, like military reenactments, etc. Today, the castle's main jewel is the Torre de la Minyona (from the 11th century) a tower which measures 15 metres in height and 10 metres in diameter. Additionally, there is the romanesque Church of Sant Vicenç de Cardona adjacent to the fort. The fort is currently used as a parador, a state-run luxury hotel.

Posted by
209 posts

Carrie Jane
I'm interested in a similar itinerary. How are you planning to get to Canary Islands? Fly from Barcelona? If you have any specifics would you pass along? Thanks