Please sign in to post.

Spain Itinerary

First time going to Spain. Super excited, but need some guidance.

Arriving in Barcelona early morning on the 6th - three nights in Barcelona and then early morning train to Seville. Get in late to Seville and have two nights there. Then renting a car and driving to Costa Del Sol where we are spending four nights. We will have a car available in Seville and Costa Del Sol for the entire time. What day trips are absolute musts?

I know we are going to take a day trip to Granada to see Alhambra. I'm assuming if we leave early in the morning, we should be able to cover it in one day.

What other places are worth it and is this a good plan? Other places I Was thinking - Rondo, Cordoba, and any other suggestions...I like culture and architecture, but I also a huge foodie.

Also - how hot is it down in Seville and Malaga in mid March? Thank you :)

Posted by
11294 posts

You will want to get reservations for the Alhambra NOW. The availability of these will determine which day you go to Granada (which is a few hours from Seville, each way, so don't schedule too early a time for the Nasrid Palace).

Posted by
3592 posts

You might want to reconsider having a car in Seville. If you go with it, be sure you hotel has parking. Cordoba and Ronda are good stops for architecture, especially the Mezquita in the former, and the Palacio de Mondragon and the church of S. Maria la Mayor of the latter. Mid-March weather is not likely to be very hot. My guidebook shows average maximum high temperatures in the low 70's for April.

Posted by
2 posts

I already checked and the hotel has self-parking available. Also, as someone who lives in New York City, mid 60s to 70 is considered a vast improvement for March, so if that's what it will be in Malaga, that is great.

Posted by
1520 posts

A little surprised you are taking the train from Barc to Seville as this is a distance and time consumption to which we typically fly.

Pick up the car when you are prepared to depart Seville. Pick up your IDP at AAA, $20, before you arrive in Spain as it is legally required to drive in Spain.

We base out of Malaga and have a car so here are some travel thoughts.

From Seville drive to Ronda. BTW: bring a black single sheet to use to cover your luggage. We use a hatchback which has a cover to reduce opportunity for thieves to view what is in the car. Be sure and obtain a GPS. Spain, and most of Europe, heavily relies upon cameras to catch traffic offenders. Be very wise about obeying all traffic laws. We strive to park outside of tourist zones to avoid driving in the narrow clogged streets of an old town setting.
Use the internet to pull up Michelin map web site and strive to get familiar with potential routes.
http://www.viamichelin.com/web/Maps/Map-Spain
In early March sundown comes early so DO NOT take hwy A-397 down to Marbella, from Ronda, (less then two hour drive) as this is a narrow two lane highway. If you were to be in daylight then this route offers terrific views, especially of Gibraltar. Take A-366 and it is an easy drive in Malaga (less than two hour drive).
From Malaga to Granada is a two hour drive an you have several route choices. To Granada I recommend the coastal route, returning the inland route. In Granada you will want to use the public parking lot at the top of the hill and at the back of the Alhambra area. Do your homework using google earth aerial to understand the route. It is VITAL you immediately invest in reading on how to tour, navigate and obtain tickets using a variety of web resources. REPEAT, VITAL!!!! We encourage staying to watch the sunset across from Alhambra.

We love Malaga and greatly enjoyed walking through the old town, the fort, marina, market and often get away from worn tourists paths to explore restaurants occupied by locales. A great town.

Check the fubol schedule for a chance to attend a game in Malaga or Granada.
March will still be a little cool in Granada (Spain is experiencing a very cold winter this year with a lot of cold snaps). The Sierra Nevada mountains will likely still be covered in snow.

Be very aware of pick pocket protection during your entire journey in Spain.