Please sign in to post.

Spain Itinerary

My husband and I will be in Spain for our first visit for a little over five weeks. We are landing in Barcelona where we intend to spend a week. After that I am thinking Seville, Toledo with a side trip to the Prado in Madrid, Valencia, and Granada. We are particularly interested in art and history. Thoughts? Suggestions?

Posted by
756 posts

If your interest is art, spend more time in Madrid - Prado, Reina Sofía (Guernica), Thyssen-Bornemisza, Sorolla Museum and home, Museo de la Real Academia de Bellas Artes de San Fernando, and more. Other smaller museums as well, for example Lázaro Galdiano Museum, Cerralbo, and Romanticism.

Many people do day trips from Madrid to Toledo and Segovia. Cordoba could be a day trip from Madrid (2 hours or so one way) or a one hour day trip (one way) from Seville.

How long is the full trip? History abounds! Museums and actual sites.

Posted by
6539 posts

There’s history throughout the country going back to Roman times and further, but my guess is you’ll want to spend your time in the major destinations. In addition to the places you mentioned, Córdoba and Segovia are popular with first time visitors. Throughout the country you’ll find old convents, monasteries, and castles, as well as ruins of Roman cities and not so ruined Roman walls, bridges, and aqueducts. How you intend on getting around will affect what you see.

Posted by
762 posts

Given your interest in art and history, I think you'd be missing out on a lot of great museums if you relegate Madrid to just a daytrip from Toledo solely for the Prado. There's the Thyssen-Bornemisza Museum, the Reina Sofía, and the National Archaeological Museum, along with a host of smaller treasures like the Biblioteca Nacional de España; National Museum of Decorative Arts; and the Lázaro Galdiano Museum.

Don't get me wrong...I'd also focus on the art and history in Toledo, giving it at least two or three days. Toledo is fantastic and many breeze through it too quickly. But I'd give more time to Madrid too than just a side trip to the Prado.

Edit: @ORDtraveler and I apparently cross-posted, but obviously we are on the same page! :-)

Posted by
756 posts

HistoryTraveler - I noticed the cross-post and our similar interests and ideas for the OP! Nice to be on the same page for all concerned. Too many decisions without also sorting through major differences in opinions!

Posted by
7283 posts

I would give Madrid three days to see the major art museums already mentioned, plus the Palacio Real. We haven’t taken a history tour in Madrid, but we’re taking a city bike tour when we return there soon. Those usually have a nice mix of history, sites & sometimes some recommendations for a few restaurants.

If you’re able to fly into Barcelona and leave from Malaga, you could add the Museo Picasso and others.

Posted by
5212 posts

Definitely consider staying in Córdoba & Madrid for at least 3-4 nights, especially given your interests.

When is your trip?

Don’t forget to book your Alhambra tickets at least 3 months in advance.

Wishing you a wonderful trip!

Edited to add:
I also recommend visiting the beautiful city of Girona, if you have the time.
I’ve not been there (yet) but also consider visiting Zaragoza, between Barcelona and Madrid.