Please sign in to post.

Spain in July

Hello seasoned travellers,
I have never been to Spain and plan to visit my daughter in July while she is doing a study abroad in Barcelona. I was wondering after 4 days in Barcelona, would it be better to visit a northern beach town like San Sebastian since wondering if the southern coast is on fire? What are some good beach towns to stay in that offer day trip options ? A friend of mine also went in July and said the in land cities like Seville were so hot that it was hard to explore. Wondering your thoughts on itinerary...thanks Laura

Posted by
625 posts

I would not consider Donostia-San Sebastian a "beach" town, it´s a common misconception. Donostia-San Sebastian is a working city that happens to have three beaches, but weather is rather unpredictable and quite rainy (SS is the rainiest city in Spain after Santiago de Compostela, an average of 185 rainy days a year). Temperatures are mild and enjoyable, and the food is fantastic, and the mountains and green valleys are really worth seeing, but if you come here looking for beach weather it´s not always the case. Of course, you never know, as I said weather is very unpredictable and you may be able to enjoy a sunny week!

Posted by
6386 posts

If you don’t have a lot of time I’d stick to northern Spain. There are plenty of beach town’s between Barcelona and Valencia that cater to tourists, e.g., Benidorm. Where you go should depend on what you want to see. I wouldn’t travel to Spain just to visit a beach. I can do that at home.

Regarding the heat, Andalucía and Extremadura regions are both very hot during the summer months. Some people say to avoid them, but don’t let the heat stop you if you really want to go. Just pace yourself and drink plenty of water.

Posted by
26834 posts

If you mentioned "beach town" more as an alternative to the scorching south, rather than because you particularly want to spend time on a beach, San Sebastian would be a fine choice (though I'd prefer Bilbao from a sightseeing standpoint). The weather should be mild; clouds certainly should be expected. The countryside is beautiful, and there are plenty of good day-trips from San Sebastian, including Bilbao, Hondarribia, Vitoria-Gasteiz and Zarautz/Getaria/Zumaia. You could even hop across the border to the French Basque Country.