Spain in January

I plan to visit Spain in January 2018
8th to 19th

I arrive with my family on 8th Madrid and depart
on the 19th from Madrid
What would be a good itirenary
My areas of interest would be historical monuments and pretty villages

Any help in planning this would be appreciated
Mode of travel, duration of stay in each location, day trips, nights stays, hotel accommodation, etc

Thank you

With best regards

Pradeep

Posted by
7175 posts

You could do something like this ...

January
8. ARRIVE Madrid. Train to Seville (4N)
9. Seville
10. Day to Cordoba & Mezquita
11. Seville
12. Train to Ronda (1N)
13. Train to Granada (2N)
14. Visit Alhambra
15. Train to Madrid (4N)
16. Madrid
17. Day to Toledo
18. Day to Segovia, or more Madrid
19. Depart Madrid

Posted by
27120 posts

I wouldn't try to do Barcelona, Madrid and environs, and Andalucía in the time you have (10 or 11 days). The weather will be best in Barcelona and (especially) Andalucía, so I guess you could substitute Barcelona for Madrid and environs. However, you are flying in and out of Madrid, and that would mean hopping on the AVE train (or flying) at both the beginning and end of the trip. The adult fares currently range from €58 to €100 round trip just between Madrid and Barcelona, but you'd be traveling back from Andalucia and would probably want to fly that long leg.

Posted by
7175 posts

You could try for this, but it means just the big cities, and no time to visit smaller towns like Ronda, Toledo, Segovia.

January
8.. ARRIVE Madrid. Train to Seville (3N)
9.. Seville
10.. Seville
11.. am.. Train to Cordoba for Mezquita
11.. pm.. Train to Granada (2N)
12.. Visit Alhambra
13.. Fly to Barcelona (3N)
14.. Barcelona
15.. Barcelona
16.. Train to Madrid (3N)
17.. Madrid
18.. Madrid
19.. Depart Madrid

Posted by
15584 posts

There is so much to see and do in and around Barcelona that I would save it for a future trip. There is more than enough to enjoy in Andalucia and Madrid for the time you have. Here's my suggestion:

8th - go to Cordoba by train. 2 nights
10th - train to Sevilla. 2 nights
12th - rent car. drive through hills, overnight in Ronda
13th - drive through hills to Granada and return car. 2 nights
15th - train to Madrid.

That gives you 3 nights to "play with" spending your last night in Madrid for your flight home. I'd add 2 nights in Sevilla, 1 in Ronda. This pretty much means skipping Madrid. In January the parks and gardens there won't be much to see and the big draw is the great art museums, which you don't list as a priority.

Spending an extra night in Ronda gives you time to explore more of the hill towns by car. Ronda itself has enough sights to fill up a day, so you could even spend 3 nights there. 3-4 nights in Sevilla gives you time to see the sights there and take a day trip to Jerez by train to see a horse show at the Royal Equestrian School (check their website - the shows are only 2-3 days a week) and tour a sherry bodega (Tio Pepe is the most fun) and/or a day trip to Cadiz.

Posted by
153 posts

I agree with previous posters. David's first itinerary gives you a healthy dose of Castile and Andalucia. Come back on another trip for some Catalan and perhaps Basque flavor.