Please sign in to post.

Spain in January

So I live in DC and get two holidays in the same week in mid-January next year and would like to head back to Europe to work on my Euro checklist. I just left Portugal in October and have a strong desire to head to Spain this time around. I will be doing Barcelona, Madrid, Toledo (day) and Sevilla (flying out) in 12 days (flying days not included). My travel style is a quicker pace to get a taste of the country as I go to Europe every 3 months or so and do a lot of repeat visits if I fall for a city.

How have your experiences been in January? I don't mind colder weather as I live in DC but if the cities are better experienced in a certain season please let me know. Should I head to another country in Europe and save Spain for the spring or fall?

Thanks!

Posted by
27196 posts

Wikipedia's pages for all the Spanish cities show monthly average high and low temps and other weather data. In all cases the averages are higher than the DC averages. The inland cities of Madrid and Toledo are typically colder than Barcelona in the winter. Seville, of course, will be the warmest of all.

I always like to see some actual day-by-day data in addition to averages. Wunderground.com has historical data for each day going back enough years to give you a decent feel for how cold it might be.

Madrid's attractions are predominantly indoor, I would say, so your exposure to the weather there need not be extensive. I think most tourists probably spend more time wandering around, absorbing the atmosphere, in the other cities. Both Madrid and Barcelona have useful subway systems which will also offer some weather protection. Seville also has a subway, but I don't know how well it works for visiting tourist sites.

I'm not sure what you should expect in terms of wind. Barcelona is coastal, and Toledo's on top of a hill, though Madrid's elevation is actually higher.

Posted by
7175 posts

You have better intercontinental flight options from Barcelona and Madrid (rather than Sevilla)

Day 0 - Arrive Barcelona - 4 nights
Day 1-3 - Barcelona sights
Day 4 - Fly to Granada - 2 nights
Day 5 - Alhambra
Day 6 - Train to Seville - 4 nights
Day 7 - Sevilla sights
Day 8 - Day trip to Cordoba
Day 9 - Sevilla sights (or day trip to Jerez)
Day 10 - Train to Madrid - 3 nights
Day 11 - Madrid sights
Day 12 - Day trip to Toledo
Day 13 - Fly home

Posted by
15593 posts

My experiences have been in February, not January, but I would expect similar weather, just somewhat shorter days. I had more sun than cloud, some light rain, never really cold, certainly not down to freezing. In other words, pleasant. One good thing for sightseeing is that the country's on Central European time but most of Spain is west of the prime meridian, so in essence the country's on DST, so more afternoon light. Andalucia (Sevilla) is the warmest, driest part of Europe.

I'd imagine that whatever you need to wear to/from your home airport will keep you warm enough in Spain. It can get very cold in Toledo and maybe Madrid, because of the altitude. Instead of Toledo, head for Cordoba. The Mezquita is the best sight in Spain after the Alhambra.