Please sign in to post.

Spain in February

Hi, I posted a question a few days ago but deleted that one after it became obvious we were planning the wrong activities for February! : ). We usually take a trip within the US in February; this next February we would like to go to Spain. (We were in Toledo, Madrid, Cordoba, Sevilla, Ronda, Granada, Nerja & Malaga in Oct. 2017.)

Plan B:
I have a week reserved in Cadiz which coincides with their Carnival! For our first week in February, we were thinking about Estepona for a laid-back first location, described as a nice town with true Spanish atmosphere.

If you have been in southern Spain in February & especially Estepona, did you enjoy your time there? Was it too quiet? Alternate city to suggest? Would it make more sense to be closer to Malaga?

I think my husband would love a day or two at a golf course, although he says he doesn't need to play golf during this trip. Otherwise, it's mostly a no-agenda, flexible, relaxing trip.

We will be traveling by train & bus while we're there. Currently, we're thinking of either RT flights to Malaga or arrive in Malaga & return to the US by Madrid after spending a few days there. Either way, we added 1-2 nights to return to Sevilla, also.

Thanks for your suggestions!

Posted by
7292 posts

I found a good price on flights, plus the l-o-n-g connection times flying back from Malaga made this an easy choice. We will fly to Malaga & return to the US from Madrid. We’re excited to go back to Spain!

3 nights - Malaga
5 nights - Estepona
7 nights - Cadiz
2 nights - Sevilla
3 nights - Madrid. Two nights at our favorite hotel & our last night at an airport hotel for a very early flight.

Posted by
5264 posts

If you have been in southern Spain in February & especially Estepona, did you enjoy your time there?

Yes, I've stayed in Estepona during February and enjoyed my time. The weather has always been pleasant with temperatures in the high teens and typically sunny. It won't be beach weather but perfect for exploring the area. It's a busy town throughout the year as It's predominantly populated by locals rather than seasonal tourists so it won't feel dead like some places in winter.

Posted by
7292 posts

Thank you for your reply, JC! This is exactly the type of city we’re hoping to enjoy!

Posted by
5264 posts

Thank you for your reply, JC! This is exactly the type of city we’re hoping to enjoy!

Be aware Jean that Estepona is a smallish town rather than a city so whilst it doesn't die down in the winter it's still not as bustling as somewhere like Malaga.

Posted by
66 posts

Hi Jean,

We will be in Cadiz in January/February 2024 for two weeks.

We travel from New Zealand to Anadalucia for three months every year. We usually spend one month in Seville and also two to three weeks in the some of the other towns, generally Cordoba, Granada, Vejer de la Frontera, Jerez de la Frontera etc.

The weather in Andalucia is excellent between January and March, before the suffocating summer temperatures arrive.

Let me know if you need suggestions for your trip. Andalucia is our second home. We love wiling away our days in the streets of Seville.

I was interested in your post as we will also be in Cadiz in 2024.

I hope you have en enjoyable trip to Spain.

Posted by
7292 posts

Rob_chris, I apologize. Somehow I missed seeing my notice that you had posted a reply. Glad to read that you enjoy that area! If you have any casual restaurants or activities you recommend, that would be fantastic.

Posted by
1006 posts

Southern Spain can be lovely and warm in February but of course it can’t be guaranteed. We are going next Feb too but will stay in Benalmadena as more for kids in that area. It’s such an easy area to explore by car and train and relatively cheap.

Posted by
7292 posts

Helen, we’re hoping for good weather to take long walks and enjoy the area. Even with our flight over to Spain, it’s less expensive than some of our other options for a Winter break.

Posted by
3227 posts

Jean, we are planning the Andalucia region for February of 2025, so I will be interested in your trip report. Although, ours will not be relaxed!

Posted by
15 posts

Hi
We are retired in our late 60s and fit. We are planning a trip for 3 to 4 weeks to Andalusia in 2024 in mid February to early March. This is our first trip to Spain and hoping to get around by train and bus. We like to visit cultural sites and sample local cuisine but prefer quieter places to stay. We like to take our time while traveling and not pack too much into our itinerary. We are just now starting to plan
We are hoping to spend some time on the coast and spend some time walking in Donana Park and some of the other parks.
Also we are traveling from Denver and trying to figure best flight itineraries. Any suggestions for us are really appreciated. Thanks

Posted by
15 posts

Oops can’t believe I forgot that we have been to Catalonia on a 6 day walking vacation along the Costa Brava in 2019. So I have been to Spain but not to this particular area.

Posted by
7292 posts

Tammy, I will take some notes to post a trip report afterwards. This will be more of a low-key relaxed trip than my normal international ones, though.

Posted by
954 posts

We are headed to Spain in early December. Our plan is:

*Fly from LAX-DFW-Madrid, then take the train to Granada
*Granada for 3 nights
*Bus to Sevilla
*Sevilla for 3 weeks; day trips to Cordoba, Cadiz
*Train to Madrid
*Madrid for 3 nights
*Fly Madrid-JFK-LAX

I will put together a Trip Report when we return!

Posted by
7292 posts

CaliMom, that sounds like a wonderful way to spend early December! Hope you have a great time, and I’m looking forward to your trip report!

Posted by
1006 posts

Jean when we were there pre covid in February there was a very large contingent of Canadian retirees at our hotel seeing out the winter. They said it was as an alternative to Florida.

Posted by
5264 posts

Also, not sure about a week in Estepona.

Why not? It's a good base for touring southern Andalucia. The OP wants a relaxing trip with the option for a day or two of golf and it's a bit of a hidden gem along the Costa Del Sol. I think it ticks the boxes for what the OP is looking for.

Posted by
66 posts

Hello Jean, I just noted to your response 26 October.

We’ll be in Cadiz from 22 Jan to 05 Feb just before the carnival. I think the carnival is from 09 Feb until 18 Feb, however Cadiz will be in full preparation mode prior to that. It’ll be full on, but a spectacular site. I assume it’s essential to reserve restaurants during the carnival. We don’t normally have to reserve, but it’s a massive event.

One of our favorite activities in Cadiz is cycling along Playa Victoria. Its flat and an easy ride for us seniors!!

There’s not a lot of tourist sites in Cadiz, as such, unlike Seville and other larger cities. Regardless its beautiful and every corner is a delight. On this trip we'll take a bus from Cadiz to Vejer de La Frontera for a day, one of our favorite white villages.

As you’ve already been to Spain you will know there are literally hundreds of taverns or small restaurants on every corner. One memorable meal was at Restaurante Café Royalty, and another at Bodeguita El Adobo. Other than that its whatever open.

Thus far we’ve been lucky with the weather in Cadiz out of season. It can be chilly in the mornings.

I'm hope you have a wonderful time during the Carnival.

Posted by
7292 posts

rob_chris, thank you so much! We will probably be wanting to take a day trip or two from Cadiz, and the white village you mentioned looks perfect. I loved exploring all of the up & down lanes in Frigiliana for a day when we were at Nerja. In fact, one of my enlarged photos printed on canvas in my home office is of one of the lanes in Frigiliana.

Thanks for the restaurant recommendations!

Posted by
66 posts

You’ve inspired me to visit Frigiliana. Not on this trip though, don’t want to out stay my pesky Schengen…..

Recently discovered the Rick Steve’s site, being a kiwi it’s not a site I’m familiar with. Lots of information, for sure.