Please sign in to post.

Spain Honeymoon March 2022

Hi all,

My fiancée and I are getting married at a VRBO in Sant Vicenç de Montalt near Barcelona on March 15, 2022. However, we are a little stuck on what to do with the rest of our time after the wedding and how to get around without wasting time.

Here’s the itinerary:
March 12: Fly into Madrid, travel to Barcelona, sight-see a bit.
March 13: check out of hotel by 11am (? Whenever checkout usually is), wedding errands in Mataró, check in to VRBO after 5pm
March 14: Breakfast with family, free time, rehearsal dinner
March 15: Wedding!
March 16: Check out of VRBO at 10am
March 16-20: ??
March 21: Fly out of Madrid

We’re stuck on two things:
1. Where to spend the remainder of the time. Some considerations: we both love food and wine. Museums, churches, etc. are fine but not the focus. It’s March, so it may be warmer or cooler depending on the region. We have to be able to get back to Madrid. I studied abroad in Granada in 2014 and visited Sevilla and Cordoba on day-trips, but I would 100% go again; however, would it be as fun to see everything I saw before?
2. Getting around. We definitely have to rent a car for wedding errands. After that, should we keep the car? Try to find convenient Renfe timetables? A consideration with this too is luggage - are there weight limitations that would make trains and buses difficult to use? What about flying?

Also, we can do wedding errands either the 13th or 14th in case we want to see Barcelona more. It just feels more convenient on the 13th since we can’t check into the VRBO for a while. Plus, we can visit with our families on the 14th - it’s about a 30-40 min drive.

It’s a lot to consider, so any and all advice/suggestions are welcome and appreciated!!

Posted by
4326 posts
  1. With only four days, I would not go to Andalucia. I would explore either Madrid or Barcelona, as you don't mention having been to either and will only get a day in each otherwise. (I'm a small town kinda gal, but in March I'd gravitate toward cities.) Or, since you will have a car, look into some smaller towns north of Barcelona. Girona, Figueres, and Cadaques have always caught my attention, but I have not been to this part of Spain.
  2. When you ask about weight restrictions, how much stuff are you bringing? I get the dress might be a large box, but would it be possible for a relative to handle shipping/carrying that home for you? congrats!
Posted by
2943 posts

we both love food and wine

I suggest the La Rioja wine region: https://wikitravel.org/en/La_Rioja_(Spain) but you’ll need a car.

would it be as fun to see everything I saw before?

Since you’ve already been there and there's much to see in Spain, try something different.

Posted by
2455 posts

Congratulations Sydney, today is exactly 6 months from your wedding day! There are many others on this forum who know Spain much better than I, I’m sure some will comment. Given the time you have available, I would certainly encourage you to stay in the general Barcelona area, including Girona, as there is so much to see, and so much variety of experiences,, according to your interests and budget. Why spend a lot of scarce time in transit and getting to and checking in and out of hotels? Even Madrid is best known for its 3 major art museums, and this not your main interest.
Barcelona has rich diversity, including all kinds and levels of restaurants, and wineries, markets, food tours, etc. Girona is just an hour away by train, and the old city there offers an ancient medieval small town vibe. Girona is also famous for its fine restaurants, a number with Michelin stars. I don’t know how the pandemic has impacted those restaurants, but more ease in getting reservations may be one impact. You could do a day trip to Girona but my experience is that one or two nights would be much better and certainly more relaxed.
About luggage, it may be difficult to limit your stuff during a wedding week, but try. Some ideas might include other people traveling home with some of your things, or arranging some shipments via UPS or similar, or leaving things someplace safe (like a hotel) until very soon before your trip home. Baggage on trains or buses is, in my experience, basically limited by your own ability to carry, roll and lift. Clearly, rolling carry-on bags or back packs and shoulder bags are better than bigger and heavier suitcases. Unless you decide to use more of your limited time to go beyond the Barcelona/Madrid region, you won’t need to fly within Spain.
Enjoy the planning and of course your exciting time in Spain!

Posted by
16893 posts

The first way to maximize convenience and time would be to fly to Barcelona, not to Madrid. I wouldn’t expect plane tickets to cost much different, even if they require a connection, and it’s safer to make the airline “responsible” for that rather than a self transfer by any other mode of transport.

If the faster trains have a luggage limit, it’s usually still a generous two large bags per person - more than I would want to deal with while traveling. If you choose the budget high-speed “Avlo” brand service (available between Madrid and Barcelona), then you’ll see when you buy tickets that a second large bag requires extra payment (about €10, similar to budget plane ticket rules)..

Car rental prices may offer multi-day discounts, such as 1-3 days for a certain price and 5-7 days for a certain price, meaning no rush to return it once you have it. Small cars also have limited luggage space, so pack as lightly as you can, regardless of transport.

Posted by
6510 posts

With the few days you have I’d stick to Barcelona and the surrounding area for a couple more days. If you do fly out of Madrid, then spend 3 days there and possibly take a day trip to Toledo. You really don’t have that many extra days and it would be a shame to spend more than the minimum necessary for travel between places.

Posted by
2 posts

Thank you all so much for your replies! Based on your recommendations, I think I have a new idea that will work better.

March 16th - Train from Barcelona to Zaragoza, spend 1 night
March 17th - Train from Zaragoza to Logrono
March 18th - Wine tour in La Rioja (mostly around Haro I think)
March 19th - Train from Logrono to Madrid
March 20th - Madrid
March 21st - Fly home

I think the AVE trains will be fine for our luggage. A couple of you asked about weight. The maximum for a checked bag on American Airlines is 50lbs, so we'd probably have 1 bag each at that weight plus my dress and her suit in garment bags. But I think it will be fine.

As for Barcelona, I think we will have time to squeeze in enough sightseeing for us. We'll hit the biggest sights and then enjoy time with family.

Thanks again!!

Posted by
4326 posts

March 16th - Train from Barcelona to Zaragoza, spend 1 night March
17th - Train from Zaragoza to Logrono March 18th - Wine tour in La
Rioja (mostly around Haro I think) March 19th - Train from Logrono to
Madrid March 20th - Madrid March 21st - Fly home I think the AVE
trains will be fine for our luggage. A couple of you asked about
weight. The maximum for a checked bag on American Airlines is 50lbs,
so we'd probably have 1 bag each at that weight plus my dress and her
suit in garment bags. But I think it will be fine.

One suitcase and one garment bag should not be too much to handle, but the best advice is to always pack as lightly as possible. You have to be able to haul it onto the train yourself.
Are you sure you would not rather drive? I get the distances are not much, but that many one-night stays in a row kinda exhausts me--and coming after all the hubub, I worry you may be packing too much in. Honeymoons need not be relaxing by a pool, and if you are just far more energetic than me, ignore of course.