Please sign in to post.

Spain 2018 RS Guidebook vs Best of Spain

Hi,
What is the main difference between the 'Spain 2018' and the 'Best of Spain' Rick Steves guidebooks? I am planning a trip with my family to Spain and also Portugal and can't decide which of the above books to buy. Which one do you recommend? Thanks!

Posted by
6508 posts

Maybe your local library has them and you can check them out, then decide. If it has one of them, check it out and buy the other. I don’t know what the differences are.

Posted by
27063 posts

If you go to the Shop Online section of this website and look for each of those books, you'll find some details about the guides that may help you, including a brief blurb in answer to the question "Is this the right book for me?"

Posted by
50 posts

I bought Best of Spain in April (because it was just released in March and because we are only spending 4 days in Barcelona this year).

In comparison to full Rick Steves books that I've bought in the past (for England, Belgium, Great Britain, and Germany), I think that Best of Spain has 50-70% as much details, but more color and nicer paper.

I'm happy that I bought Best of Spain, because we are taking a quick first trip to Spain. If I was spending 2-3 weeks in Spain or it was my second trip, I might buy the Spain 2018 instead. The costs were the same when I ordered on amazon.com.

Posted by
11294 posts

"Best of Spain has 50-70% as much details, but more color and nicer paper. "

That is indeed the difference between the regular country guides and the "Best of" country guides. If you go the Best of Spain page on this website, then the "Is This The Right Guidebook For Me?," here's what it says:

What's the difference between this Best of Spain guidebook and Rick's complete Spain guidebook?

Rick Steves Spain, the complete guide, offers more coverage of more destinations in a mostly black-and-white format, and is updated annually.

The shorter Best of Spain guidebook focuses on Spain's top destinations and sights, is in full color, and is updated every other year.