Please sign in to post.

Southern Spain Recommendations

My husband and I are traveling to southern Spain at the end of May. We will be based near Marbella, and plan to take a few day trips to see the area (we will have a car). We plan to go to Ronda, Gibraltar, and possibly Nerja. We were originally thinking Granada to see the Alhambra , but didn't get tickets, so think we may nix that given the distance from Marbella. Any other cities that we should include? Realistically, we could probably only fit in one more day trip. Additionally, we are big foodies and love using our vacations to explore the culinary scene, so any recommendations for places to eat near Marbella, Ronda, Gibralter, etc., would be greatly appreciated! Also, I know there are a lot of wineries in the area, so please share your favorites!

Posted by
3 posts

I strongly recommend that you spend at least 1 day in Granada to visit Alhambra. We were there a few years ago and we loved it. One of the most beautiful destinations in Spain, without a doubt.
Besides, its gastronomy and people are wonderful.

Posted by
7661 posts

I have visited Spain several times and the Costa del Sol area is my least favorite area of Spain. The beach is not that wonderful.

What is wonderful in Southern Spain is the Alhambra and Granada, Cordoba, Seville (especially Seville).

Also, Marbella is very expensive.

The first guidebook that I read about Spain said the if you go to Spain there are two places that you MUST see, Toledo and Seville. Good advice.

Posted by
79 posts

I will be in southern Spain at the same time this May. I was able to get my hotel in Granada to secure a ticket to the Alhambra just 2 weeks ago. You might give that a try.