Please sign in to post.

Southern Spain in Feb 2025 - Looking for suggestions.

Dear community, looking for some suggestions/ideas please.

We have started the planning of our next trip to the south of Spain. We have 5 weeks in total from Jan 22 to Feb 28. The first week we will be in Malaga and the next two weeks in Sanlúcar de Barrameda. Looking for some suggestions for the remaining two weeks (which will be the last two weeks of February). We fly back home from Malaga early on Feb 28 so need to be back there sometime on Feb 27.

We want this to be a slower trip than some we have done in the past so we are looking at a minimum of one week at any location, more chance of sun the better, open to flying somewhere from Malaga.

We have already visited Granada, Ubeda, Seville, Jerez, Cadiz, Ronda, and Cordoba and loved them all.

Thanks for any ideas!

Amar

Posted by
7083 posts

I have no idea what you plan to do in SanLúcar de la Barrameda for two weeks that time of year. It is small and it isn’t even convenient for taking day trips from due to its location. That time of year isn’t good for hanging out on the beach. Unless there’s a ferry there’s no way to get across the river to visit the national park and you need to go to Jerez de la Frontera to go anyplace. There is a bird watching area nearby. If deciding to visit Cádiz, there is a ferry that departs from Rota, but it doesn’t run if the bay waters are too rough. I’m not sure if it runs that time of year.

From SanLúcar maybe head up to Zafra or Mérida. They are close together and there are plenty of places you could visit as day trips. For the last week maybe Almagro or Manzanares, or further south Jaen. Jaen is just over a two hours drive from Malaga.

I’ve assumed you will have a rental car.

Posted by
55 posts

Thanks @jaimeelsabio

We spent some time in SanLúcar last February and fell in love with the vibe there. We plan on doing nothing but practice our Spanish, eat, cook and drink :)

I appreciate your suggestions for trips to Zafra and Mérida. I will look up Almagro or Manzanares for the last couple of weeks.

Thanks again!

Amar

===

I have no idea what you plan to do in SanLúcar de la Barrameda for two weeks that time of year. It is small and it isn’t even convenient for taking day trips from due to its location. That time of year isn’t good for hanging out on the beach. Unless there’s a ferry there’s no way to get across the river to visit the national park and you need to go to Jerez de la Frontera to go anyplace. There is a bird watching area nearby. If deciding to visit Cádiz, there is a ferry that departs from Rota, but it doesn’t run if the bay waters are too rough. I’m not sure if it runs that time of year.

From SanLúcar maybe head up to Zafra or Mérida. They are close together and there are plenty of places you could visit as day trips. For the last week maybe Almagro or Manzanares, or further south Jaen. Jaen is just over a two hours drive from Malaga.

I’ve assumed you will have a rental car.

===

Posted by
8145 posts

Sanlúcar de Barrameda is nice, but you have already done Cadiz. Two weeks is a long time in one place.

I have done Costa del Sol years ago and didn't find the beaches to be so wonderful. It was nasty and you could see lots of trash and sometimes the odor of sewage. You seem to want to be by the water, have you reserached to status of the beaches?

Portugal is wonderful, if you consider visiting the Lisbon area as well as Porto.

Posted by
374 posts

On a trip around Andalucia, Sanlucar was one of the places that were special for us too.
Also there weren't many foreign tourists, and local people were really kind and friendly
The coast (walks through the pineforest in Rota) and sunsets from places like Chipiona are really special.
https://slowtravelitalyspain.blogspot.com/2018/10/days-24-and-25-rest-and-then-back-to.html
Costa del Sol so places like Torremolinos are totally different from Costa de la Luz, below Cadiz, or the coast up towards Sanlucar, or indeed from Malaga itself, which is a fantastic city

Posted by
389 posts

Granted we were there in September, but we thoroughly enjoyed Tarifa.