Please sign in to post.

Southern Spain

We are thinking of going to the Andalusia area next year and am wondering how easy it is to get around each town without a car or would we need one? Also, how long do you suggest in Seville?

I wish RS would do a tour down there without Madrid and Barcelona included as we have done his tour there and are doing the Basque tour in Sept. Rick are you reading this!? Thanks.

Posted by
2768 posts

If you are staying in towns you will not need a car - Sevilla, Granada, Cordoba, Ronda, Malaga, the beach resort towns, and plenty of others - all are connected by train or bus, and when you are in town you don't need a car. You can often walk to the main sights and neighborhoods if your hotel is central, and city busses and taxis are abundant. In fact, driving in these towns isn't a good idea - there are tiny streets, limited parking, and restricted zones. If you have a car because you will need it at other points in your trip, you would be best to park it outside of the old town, in a garage, while you visit one of the above mentioned towns, and pick it up when you leave.

Where a car would be handy is if you want to string together day trips of smaller towns or villages. Some of the white hill towns near Ronda would be easier with a car, as would the Sierra Nevada mountain towns. But generally people stick to the towns mentioned above and don't need a car.

Sevilla - at least 2-3 full days (so 3-4 nights).

Posted by
32 posts

I was in Andalusia in February and rarely felt I needed a car. The only thoughts would be to go the White Towns (although accessible by bus Sevilla) and to get from Granada to Sevilla faster than the Renfe bus/train.

I spent 9 nights in Sevilla and that was about 2 too many. If you can, I would do 5 nights or 7 with 2 day trips, as there is plenty to do.