Please sign in to post.

Southern spain

Madrid 5 nights (3 days Madrid and 1 day trip to Toledo).
Early train to Cordoba.
Cordoba 4 nights (catching both “Crosses” & “Courtyard” festivals).
Rent Car to leave.
Seville 4 nights (4 days).
Jerez 4 nights (2 days Jerez, 1 day Cadez and 1 day Arcos).
Rhonda 3 nights (2 days Rhonda and 1 day trip to Zahara and Grazalema).
Tarifa 2 nights (.5 day in Gibraltar on way) then (1 day trip to Tangiers).
Malaga 1 night (rest of travel day there).
Nerja 1 night (rest of travel day there).
Granada 3 nights (3 days).
Madrid 1 night (Granada to Cordoba to drop car and train to Madrid, fly next day).
28 nights

Posted by
7294 posts

Hi RC,

Unless you have a specific reason, I would drop the night in Nerja and stay two nights in Malaga, instead. We just traveled by train or the occasional bus instead of renting a car. But, I would think you would want to rent the car after you've completed at least Sevilla. (We've stayed in Toledo, Madrid, Cordoba, Sevilla, Ronda, Malaga, Nerja and Granada.)

It's a beautiful area. Have a great time!

Posted by
7560 posts

I would agree with skipping Nerja and giving that night to Malaga. I say that despite having spent 4 nights in Nerja on a recent trip, and planning a stay of a week there next spring. It is a nice town, but short on sights, not really a quaint Spanish town, more beachside ex-pat haven with a nice array of restaurants, good beaches, ok nightlife. It is the kind of place to unwind for a few days, but nothing special for a one night stay.

Posted by
27122 posts

I agree about having another night in Malaga.

I assume you'll have a car for part of the trip or are prepared to hire a driver for the day trip from Ronda to Grazalema and Zahara de la Sierra. I don't think that combo is possible by bus. I was able to make a trip to Grazalema alone in 2019.

I'm one of many who thinks the schlep to Tangier is not worthwhile, but at least you aren't shorting the major destinations in Andalucia in order to do that. However, your nice, relaxed schedule suggests that you enjoy having time to see a lot in the cities you visit. I'd recommend dropping Tangier this time and planning to fly to Fes/Marrakech from somewhere in Europe on a future trip. There are flights from many cities, so the ferry from Spain is not the only way to reach Morocco easily. The country has a lot of cities more interesting than Tangier.

Posted by
5264 posts

Skip Tarifa, Gibraltar and Tangier and head straight to Malaga from Ronda and take off the night in Nerja and tack it on to Malaga instead. I think you'll appreciate not having to change hotels so much.

Posted by
2267 posts

I'd take the train from Cordoba to Sevilla, and pick up the rental car leaving Sevilla. No need for a car in the city, so you'd just be paying rental and parking fees.