Please sign in to post.

Southern Spain

I will be travelling to Spain this fall, one week on a Rick Steve's tour to Barcelona and Madrid, the second week on our own. Considering southern Spain and possibly Portugal. Suggestions on must see places in the south. Also.... is a trip to Morocco worth it??? Safe??? Thanks for help!!!

Posted by
2768 posts

With one week I would say Morocco isn't worth the hassle of getting there. It seems like it's own trip - if you wanted to fly from Spain and spend most of the week there that would be one thing, but as a day or one night it seems difficult. I haven't done it, for those reasons - Tangier just doesn't interest me as much as Marrakech or Fez and those aren't a day/1 night trip.

The classic highlights of southern Spain are Sevilla, Granada, and Cordoba . I would agree with that. My first trip to the area was 3 nights in Seville, a day in Cordoba and 3 in Granada. That was a good introduction. It does skip the beach, so if that's a priority you can look at Nerja or other beach towns.

Posted by
27122 posts

I traveled with my mother for at least two weeks in Morocco 30 or so years ago. We felt completely safe though we were pestered by young men wanting to be our guides. Transportation tends to be slow, so I feel like a week is a bare minimum, and you wouldn't get a great look at the country in so little time. You've got the historic cities, the desert, the mountains and the beaches. We didn't attempt to see the beaches, despite the length of our trip.

Posted by
2768 posts

To clarify - I think Morocco sounds well worth it for a week or more but not as a side trip from Spain. I would advise picking - spend your week in Morocco OR Andalucia. I have not been to Morocco but want to. I have been to south Spain several times and consider it my favorite region anywhere, with Granada my favorite town.

Posted by
440 posts

Seville,Granada and Ronda are the best places in the south of Spain. Would you prefer a day trip to Tangier or more time to see other parts of Morocco?

Posted by
7312 posts

Portugal is a substantial detour, with inferior transportation than Spain. I would not choose it unless you have the option of flying home DIRECT from Lisbon. Take the previous advice about the three major cities. If you don't feel that's ambitious enough, select daytrips from among Carmona, Italica, Cordoba, Jerez, Ronda, Arcos. Harder without a car, but possible.

Posted by
7175 posts

A hire car is best for Granada to Seville.

1. To Granada (2N)
  2. Granada - visit Alhambra
  3. To Ronda (2N)
  4. Ronda - visit white villages
  5. To Seville (3N)
  6. Seville
  7. Seville - visit Cordoba (Mezquita)