Please sign in to post.

Solo traveler Itinerary help

Hello, I am a female in my 30s and am planning a solo trip to Spain and looking for guidance. Looking to spend 10-12 days. Thanks.
1) When to go? Im thinking either end of May/early June or sometime in Sept, maybe October. What do you recommend?
2) Itinerary? I want to go to Sevilla and ideally Madrid and Barcelona as well but is this even possible? Any recommendations? I am open to anything I love a mix of everything (culture, city, nature, cities/towns by the water, architecture).
This is what I was thinking Fly into Barcelona (2 nights) >> Fly or train? to Madrid (3 nights) >> Fly or train? to Granada (2 nights) >> Somewhere (1-2 nights) >> Train to Sevilla (2 nights) Fly out
3) Since Im solo traveler I would be staying at hostels or airbnb. Any recommendations one versus another?

Posted by
7811 posts

Go May or October (also I just went last December through January for less tourists, lower rates and mild winter weather).
If you are not really into the history of art paintings just go to Madrid for 2 nights. I recommend Cordoba for a night or 2.

Add or subtract from this schedule:

Barcelona 3 nights
Train to Madrid
Madrid 2 nights
Train to Cordoba
Cordoba 1 night
Train to Seville
Seville 3 nights
Bus to Granada
Granada 3 nights.
Bus to Malaga
Malaga 1 night
Fly out of Malaga (it has the most destination options to and from Andalusia compared to Granada and Seville).
Hostels are a easy way to meet and make friends with other travelers from the USA and the world.
It would seem more fun and less intimidating going for tapas when you have someone to talk to during lunch or dinner time, especially if you don't know a little Spanish.

Posted by
4573 posts

5 places in 10 days? The places you are considering take at least 1/2 day for travel, arrival, packing/unpacking. so you lose 2 days right there. Are you coming from North America? If so, even 30 year olds can experience jet lag and adjustment to time zones. Barcelona can be a bit of an outlier because other than Madrid, where there is a fast train, the bus or train is long...or you need to fly. That means there is still time taken to get to airport and all the security time required. If you are only going for 2 nights, then I suggest you drop it....or add more days. Barcelona deserves more time.
I would stick to the 4 cities mentioned. Spare time can be added to Seville, as from there, you can do a variety of day trips. So then your thought to Fly into Barcelona and out Seville works. Personally, I would be inclined to drop Barcelona, as there are nice day trips from Madrid, or better yet an overnight in some cities like Toledo or Cordova, but I you can research these to determine. These are busy day trip locations that have an entirely different feel and atmosphere after the tourists go home.
Feria is in May in Seville which reduces accommodations and can up prices. Keep that in mind when booking. Southern Spain has had some hot dry summers lately. Weather in May reaching 100+F in May. I was in Granada late Oct 2017 and temps were still well into the 70s. Granted, by mid November, I needed gloves and a scarf with coat for Madrid, but I still suggest going late or early on the months you suggested.
As to accommodations, my practice is if 2 nights, I get a local hotel (in Spain, 1 or 2* family hotels are called 'hostals', so don't confuse with an international hostel.), and more than that I get a private Airbnb apartment. My budget is $100Cdn ($75) and I could get a place in Granada and Madrid for between 80-90 Cdn (but that was lower season). High season in Andalusia runs until end October. They seem to still be active. Here are the links to determine whether they meet your budget or not.
https://www.airbnb.ca/rooms/1046979?guests=1&adults=1
https://www.airbnb.ca/rooms/12573892?guests=1&adults=1

Posted by
6508 posts

October is a good month to visit those places. Tourist season starts in late May. September can still be very warm in southern Spain. If you ever plan on going back to Spain, I’d cut down on the cities you plan to visit. Two nights in Granada and three in Madrid is fine, but I think you haven’t allocated enough time to adequately see Barcelona or Sevilla. An additional night in each to give you 2 full days of sightseeing, would be better. If you just want a taste of those cities, then what you have is fine.

Posted by
5581 posts

I agree that October would be a great time to visit. I would also be so bold to recommend not going to Madrid at all. The other cities are so much more historic and interesting. You definitely need more time in Barcelona and probably Sevilla. I would suggest Cordoba for your extra 1-2 nights. It is really a special place with a lovely old town with patios and flowers and the amazing Mezquita. Tourists and locals love to walk along the river and bridge for pretty views.

Posted by
15576 posts

I've only been to those places in February and March. Weather was a little rainy but mostly sunny and temps mostly in 60's during the day. Room prices are low and there are few crowds. Late May through mid-October is generally hot to very hot in Andalucia.

Unless you really want to see the art museums in Madrid, I'd skip it. Fly into Barcelona (4-5N), fly to Granada (2N), bus or train to Cordoba (1-2), train to Sevilla (3N or more).

Posted by
5 posts

Ok thanks all. Now Im thinking of dropping Madrid since Im not as interested in art history/museums and prefer architecture and just exploring cities and quaint towns. Per recommendations I think i may do:
Barcelona (4)
Fly to Granada (2)
Train or bus to Cordoba (1)
Train to Seville (2-3)
Maybe add on Malaga (1) if its cheaper to fly out of there than Seville

Posted by
15576 posts

I thought so too. Then I looked at Renfe. There are trains that take only 2 hours between Sevilla and Malaga, about the same as the bus between Granada and Malaga.

Posted by
27063 posts

Check fares back home from Madrid. For my home airport, Barcelona and Madrid are usually hundreds of dollars cheaper than any other Spanish airport..

Blitz trips to Barcelona are difficult because there are so many sights for which you'll need to pre-purchase tickets, and they will usually be timed tickets. This makes it difficult to cram a lot of sights into each day. The problem sights are La Sagrada Familia, Parc Guell, Casa Mila/La Pedrera, Casa Batllo, Palau de la Musica Catalana and the Picasso Museum. The city has many other very worthwhile sights, so four nights in Barcelona at the beginning of your trip (giving you only three non-jetlagged days) will probably be a big challenge, especially given your interest in architecture.

You could easily spend all your time in Catalunya or all your time outside Catalunya. Personally, I would not attempt to cover everything from Barcelona to Seville/Granada in the amount of time you have. Although I do not find Madrid one of the the most visually interesting Spanish cities, it has many magnificent day-trips. One might also skip Madrid and spend two or even three nights in Toledo.

Posted by
5581 posts

I agree that you won't be able to see/experience as much in Barcelona as most people would like, but you are in your 30s, and I don't see that getting a decent "taste" of Barcelona and Andalusia is necessarily a bad thing. You are probably more time constricted than older travelers and you have time to plan and go back on another trip. I spent 8 days in Catalunya a couple years ago. I have plans to go back and visit more around Barcelona and may probably poke into France a bit for those sights that are close to the border. Barcelona (and Madrid) are easier and generally cheaper places to fly into making return trips more of a reality than places farther from a major airport. That said, I feel that 12 days plus travel days makes more sense and you would be better able to experience more of those cities.

Posted by
7175 posts

Barcelona is worth a full week, and has plenty of flights. Head there next time.

October would be my choice, along with hostels to meet people.

1. Fly in to Madrid (4 nights)
  2. Madrid
  3. visit Toledo
  4. Visit Segovia
  5. Train to Granada (2 nights)
  6. Visit the Alhambra
  7. Train to Ronda (1 night)
  8. Train to Sevilla (4 nights)
  9. Sevilla
  10. Visit the Mezquita in Córdoba
  11. Sevilla
  12. Fly out from Sevilla
Posted by
5581 posts

I would really analyze your preferred method of travel. Do you hate the thought of packing up and changing cities? If so, do the day trips. If you want to enjoy and relax in a city when the day trippers are gone, then do think of one or two day stays occasionally in an itinerary. For me, I would have been very unhappy with day trips to Cordoba and Toledo. Those towns have so much to do and there is so much more atmosphere in the morning and late afternoon/evenings when the crowds go back to Madrid/Sevilla. While it is comforting and relaxing to return to the same hotel/bed for an extended time, it is also relaxing to experience cities in the calm of the evening and try their local restaurants/bodegas.