Please sign in to post.

Soccer tickets

I'm traveling to Madrid in March and am hoping to get tickets to a Real Madrid match. The official website shows tickets available, but when I try to purchase I'm told they cannot be sold this way for security reasons, but that I may get them at the box office. Are international sales blocked? Is there a reputable reseller that I can purchase through?

Posted by
984 posts

On what website and at what stage of this operation are you told 'they cannot be sold this way for security reasons'?

Posted by
9100 posts

Not certain why your purchase is being blocked. Perhaps they do that for Champions League matches??? For domestic matches, lots tourists buy tickets for matches via the official site.

But if you want to purchase via resale sites, try viagogo: http://tinyurl.com/nyeh88f

Posted by
3 posts

It's the Real Madrid site: http://www.realmadrid.com/en ("tickets") link. And I get the message at the very end, after I've picked out seats, given credit card information, and hit "purchase." It tells me the purchase is being processed, and then I get a little pop-up window that says "We apologize, for security reasons the purchase has not been able to make through this channel. If you wish, you may go to the Stadium's box office, prior identification and subject to availability. Sorry for the inconvenience."

Posted by
46 posts

I'm not an expert in overseas travel or transactions just yet, but I do know that your credit card must be authorized to make international transactions prior to using it. I had the same issue purchasing airline tickets directly through Qatar airlines onetime, because my credit card and bank had not been informed of the international transaction. A similar message would pop up at the end of the transaction, and I was not able to complete it until contacting my bank and releasing the card.

Posted by
9100 posts

your credit card must be authorized to make international transactions
prior to using it

Depends on the policies of the issuing bank. The cards I use require preauthorization when making purchases when you are on the ground overseas, but international transactions via websites mostly go through without contacting the bank beforehand. On some occasions the transaction will go through but the bank will makes a robocall to my house making sure it was kosher, but doesn't block it outright.

Posted by
3 posts

Thanks for all the quick help!
My credit card company said there was no problem, so I gave up and got tickets from Viagogo for
about 50% more than face value. Hopefully they'll be real.

Posted by
1529 posts

For a better experience be sure and wear the colors of the team as it helps provide a better validation of your interest to adjacent fans.