Please sign in to post.

Sitges

In the early planning stages of a three week trip to Spain this year and having a hard time deciding where to start. I'm debating starting in Madrid or Barcelona, but trying to determine the order based on spending some beach time in Sitges. If I begin in Barcelona mid-September I'll be in Sitges around that time. But if I start in Madrid, I won't be in Sitges until the last week of September. I'm assuming mid-September will still be great beach weather, but what about the very end of the month?

Posted by
16894 posts

I have enjoyed swimming at shallow or coved swimming beaches through late October in other parts of the Mediterranean (Italy, Greece, Croatia), as well as plenty-warm October weather in Spain, when I wasn't at the beach.

Posted by
2947 posts

It depends on the year, but normally locals go to the beach many week-ends until mid-October and even later. My sis lives in Sitges and I've gone plenty of times with my nephews until way past mid-Sept. Note though that April and Sept are our 'wet' months, meaning it's when rainy days are more likely. In any case, most of the time, rain means short downpours only, not full miserable days, so when the 'shower' is over you can continue enjoying the beach :))

PS: swimming is something else of course... I myself find the sea cold from early Sept onward... but that's me, some tourists (and a few brave locals) swim as late as Christmas!

Posted by
594 posts

Perfect input. I'm usually in Europe early September and enjoy great beach weather during that time, so I guess it makes sense that a few weeks difference won't result in a dramatic change. I've also experienced that late August/early September wet weather in years past. Perfect beach weather for me is about laying out in the sun and working on the tan. I don't have to take a dip in the water unless it's absolutely warm out. Thanks for the notes!

Posted by
7175 posts

I (perhaps madly) swum in the sea at Sitges one April. I think any time in September is acceptable, but given a choice would go early.

Posted by
2947 posts

@djp_syd... my brother-in-law is the sporty type and some years ago, when jogging in the promenade in Sitges (this one taken in January), he used to end his laps with a quick dip in the sea... also in February!!! Now he's older, that seems to be no longer 'in the menu', hahaha.

Posted by
7175 posts

The Passeig de la Ribera is gorgeous anytime of year when the sun is shining, the fish are frying, and the wine is crisp, dry, white and very chilled.