Please sign in to post.

Short term rentals in Barcelona June 2022

My husband and I have been looking for a seven night rental on Airbnb in Barcelona for the beginning of June. Three weeks ago when we looked, there were many listings, all over the city, in our price range (approx $120 US dollars per night without fees). The past few days we have been looking, and now we are seeing none of these previous listings. Every listing is at least $500 US dollars per night. Has anyone else noticed this, and if so, is there a reason that all of a sudden there are no listings at these lower prices on short term rentals???

In the meantime, we have booked our nights at a Hampton Inn in Barcelona (Fira Gran Via) as this was the only hotel around that would allow us to use points. We typically prefer NOT to stay at American hotels in Europe as we want to live like a local. However, given that we can not seem to find anything in the short term rental market, have booked this for now and are hoping that something opens up. Has anyone ever stayed there or know anything about it?

Thanks so much for any advice/ input!

Linnet

Posted by
11500 posts

We had a wonderful experience in Barcelona renting in an Aparthotel for a week , “Hispanic 7 Suizas” is nearby La Sagrada Familia on a side street. in Eixample district. Two bedroom,2 bath apartments, full kitchen, W/D, balcony with a staff concierge in lobby to help answer questions, book reservations. I highly recommend this place to stay and will return when we go to Barcelona again.

Posted by
4580 posts

Without knowing what your requirements and priorities are, I just did a quick look on booking.com at Casp 74 Apartments, where I have a week booked in March with free cancellation. A week in June is more than I am paying in March, but far closer to your budget (at @ $175/night) than the $500 you said you are seeing. I haven’t stayed there yet, obviously, but someone else on the forum asked about it and had a positive response.

I have quit using Airbnb for the most part - I seem to find better options for me on booking.com.

Posted by
415 posts

I just booked a 12-day Airbnb rental this weekend for the middle of June. I paid $90/night in Vila de Gracia. As I look again, I do see many fewer listings, but there are a few in the $120-140 range, especially as you get a little farther out from the city center. I sure am glad that I pulled the trigger on my place when I did!!

Posted by
415 posts

This thread got me curious, so I did some more investigating, and the exorbitant prices are only during the first week of June. If you search for May, later in June or in July, there are lots of places all over the city in your price range. There must be something going on in Barcelona that first week that is jacking all the prices up. I'm guessing it's price gouging for some event that everyone is assuming people will be willing to pay for no matter what.

Posted by
27 posts

Thanks Bill for the help. Yes, we thought the same thing, some event or festival. There is something on the 4th/5th of June, but it doesn't seem to be anything major. Unfortunately, we are locked into our dates because of airfare and other cities that we are visiting. I agree, great that you locked in your rental when you first saw it. Oddly, yesterday, we did see those few you had mentioned a little further out. As we first looked, they were available, within 20 minutes, they were unavailable, and now this morning, available again. Something very weird is going on. Anyway, thanks for your thoughts and your investigating!

Linnet

Posted by
2380 posts

hey hey linnet
you can try cross-pollinate.com.
we've also used booking.com and tripadvisor.com under vacation rentals
place you filters, read cancellation policies and fine print. prices have gone up everywhere, hoping you find something
aloha

Posted by
27 posts

Ahh Bill, okay, we hadn't heard of this and thought since it's just on the weekend, surely it couldn't be the culprit. I see we were wrong. Darn! Bad timing on our part. Oh well! Thanks so much for all your input!!!