Please sign in to post.

Seville to Morocco

Hi, I will be staying in Seville during th last week of December and was wondering if there are any day excursions or overnight excursions to Morocco from Seville? Thank you.

Posted by
1576 posts

Give Morocco at least a few days, and fly there directly from Seville in Spain. It's easier than you think. You want a flight to Marrakech or Fes, not a ferry to one of the "bordertown" ferry ports like Tangier.

Posted by
26840 posts

Although there must be bus/ferry trips offered, I think a day trip is seriously ill-advised because it requires so much transportation time. Equally problematic is that the destination would have to be Tangier, a port city not considered one of Morocco's best destinations. (And that's putting it kindly.) I'd really recommend holding off on Morocco until you have time to see better places, like Fes and Marrakech. There are flights from Europe to those cities, but you'd need quite a few days to do them justice.

Is this your first trip to Andalucía? Have you investigated the Alhambra? 2 or 3 nights in Granada would be good. Or the same amount of time in Coroba would give you a very nice look at a lovely city much smaller than Seville.

Posted by
292 posts

Yup yup, Morocco is worth longer than a day or overnight. If you want to do both, seconding flying given the amount of time you have. I'm partial to Fes, which has nonstops from Seville. I'm usually on the flip side of the Tangier opinions here, because I dig it there, but it's true that it's not a destination with the same kinds of easy-to-identify sights as other cities. Dar Borj in Fes is great. If you're feeling splurgy, Riad Laaroussa is absolutely gorgeous inside.

Posted by
7 posts

Thank you to all... very helpful responses. As to your inquiry whether I am doing any of the other Southern Spain cities, the answer is yes. We have also added two days for Granada (which I am following Rick Steve's itinerary per his book), and a day in Cordoba, as well.

Thanks again!

Posted by
1576 posts

Well if your doing the other Andalusian cities on this trip, then might as well go to Tarifa and ferry across the sea to Tangier for a full day trip.

Posted by
26840 posts

I still wouldn't spend a day that way; at least half of it will be spent in transit. I'd rather have an additional full day in Andalucía, at one of your planned destinations. Rick's itineraries, in my view, shortchange every city of note. It's just the little tiny places (none mentioned in this thread) where I think he allows enough time.

Posted by
16893 posts

Note that the first bus from Seville to Tarifa is usually around 9:00 to arrive around noon, so you couldn't catch a ferry before 13:00, at the earliest, due to ferry check-in procedures.

Posted by
7 posts

Thank you so much for the feedback, as I do not want to shortchange my visit to the other cities in the South. The more I look into Morocco from Sevilla, the more I note that the transit time does have an effect on the amount of time I actually get to enjoy in the South.

Posted by
1576 posts

Then just stick to Andalusia for now. Save Morocco for a future trip and allocate your time better to explore the beauty of the Andalusian cities. You will have a wonderful time in Southern Spain.

However, another option for a short day trip excursion from Seville could be Lisbon Portugal or the Algarve. Both places are not far from Seville using public transport, so that might be a trip you can consider.

Posted by
7 posts

Yes, it seems as this is probably what we will be doing instead.

(Spent a month in Portugal a few years ago.... loved it!)

Posted by
1576 posts

I think an combo trip of Andalusia / Lisbon is a good plan.

Posted by
15560 posts

If you enjoyed Portugal, I think you'll love Andalucia and be very glad you chose to spend your limited time entirely in Spain.

Posted by
7 posts

Thanks for the wonderful input. Already visited the Andalusian part of Spain, and absolutely loved it. Will definitely leave Morocco for a separate visit. Sevilla was absolutely fantastic!