Please sign in to post.

Seville to Madrid

We're thinking of driving from Seville to Madrid on route 803 due north to Zafra, Almendralejo and Merida before heading east to Madrid. We've already been the great way, i.e., through Cordoba and Toledo. I'm wondering if there are any extraordinary towns or attractions (even really quaint hotels) on this route. The drive will take 2 days. Thanks.

Posted by
2 posts

John
You will be traveling through Extremadura which has hardly been discovered by foreign tourists.
The ancient city of Merida is 120 miles north of Seville and has more Roman antiquities than you can shake a stick at. The 'Teatro Romano' is one of the most impressive still in existence and the 'Museo Romano' is, in my opinion, the best Roman museum I've seen outside of Italy.
The city of Trujillo is the birthplace of Francisco Pizarro the Conquistador who laid waste to Atahualpa and Peru in the 16th century. It has a monumental plaza in the center of town and is stuffed with equestrian statues everywhere.
The city of Caceres is also worth a visit. It's where all the loot from Peru was invested in magnificent family palaces most of which are still preserved today.
The best hotels are usually the 'Paradores'. Google is your friend.

Posted by
15585 posts

I'm planning a return trip to Spain in mid-March. Would this be a particularly good - or bad - time to do this? If I have 3-4 days, how would you recommend expanding the itinerary?