Please sign in to post.

Seville, Cordoba, Malaga Area Suggestions Post-Rick Steves Tour in October 2018

I will finish a Rick Steves Best of Spain 14 Days tour on Friday, Oct. 5 in Seville, and I’m planning to leave on Monday, Oct. 8 or Tuesday, Oct. 9.

I’m debating whether to stay in Seville to explore the city more and do a few day trips or whether to spend a few nights elsewhere. For example, I could visit Cordoba (spend the night), then go to Malaga for 1 or 2 nights. Or I could just do a day trip to Cordoba from Seville.

I will have visited Granada, the White Hills area, Ronda, and Arcos on the tour.

I enjoy history, exploring the different cultures/architecture, museums, and outdoor activities. Also, planning to take one day to relax before the next phase of my trip after leaving the Seville area on Oct. 8 or 9.

I will be using public transportation.

Any suggestions or recommendations about activities, early Oct. festivals, day trips (and operators), and places to stay (under $120) are welcome.

Raymond

Posted by
6788 posts

For me, that's an easy call: I'd do a day in Cordoba. If you like architecture and history, Cordoba is a must. It's an easy trip from either Madrid or Seville on the fast train, and well worth a visit.

What's "the next phase" of your trip? I assume you will be departing from Seviile and have that onward travel already booked?

Posted by
2705 posts

We found those few days in Sevilla worthwhile after our tour. And the day trip to Córdoba to see the Mezquita was one of the highlights of the entire trip. Enjoy lunch at the nearby wonderful Sephardic restaurant, Casa Mazal.

Posted by
6522 posts

Plenty to do in Sevilla for the little time you have, but if you want to take a day trip, I agree that Córdoba would be worthwhile.

Posted by
266 posts

Thanks for the replies. For the next phase, I'm heading to London for a few days of theater; I'll most likely fly out of Seville and will book a flight soon.

Posted by
1296 posts

I agree with others about going to Cordoba, although with your time available I would stay at least one night. There is much more to see than just the Mezquita-Cathedral, beautiful as that certainly is, and it is a pleasant city to wander in the evening when the day-trip crowds drop.

You can get flights from Sevilla to one or more of London's airports (perhaps not Heathrow?), but there is more choice from Malaga and, possibly, less dear prices. Staying in Malaga is also worth considering. Whilst Sevilla is certainly grander, central Malaga is a nice city too, with quite a few sights (and a big food scene), plus in September it would still be a good time to be at the seaside.

As a wildcard option, consider Antequera, between Sevilla and Malaga and with decent transport links. A sleepy town compared to the others, it has the usual castle and church sights but also the ancient dolmens for something different. Plenty of peaceful squares to eat, drink and relax in the evening.

Posted by
7175 posts

Fri Oct 5
Add an extra night in Seville, and day trip to Cadiz

Sat Oct 6
Train to Córdoba for 2 nights

Sun Oct 7
Córdoba & Mezquita

Mon Oct 8
Late flight to London from Seville
(easyjet to Gatwick departs 4.45pm)

Posted by
22 posts

We just returned from 2 weeks in Spain, including a long weekend in Seville. We stayed in a marvelous AirBnB close to cathedral Macarena for 59 euros/night. It was about 25 minute walk to Real Alcazar & the cathedral. We did a Devour Triana Tapas tour which was fantastic. Took in a flamenco show (one recommended by Rick Steves) and had a free walking tour of the old neighborhood afterwards. We did a day trip to Córdoba.

Posted by
542 posts

I'd suggest an extra night in Seville and then several nights in Cordoba. Besides the sites within the city, there is easy public transportation and a short ride outside the city to Medina Azahara, the remains of a medieval Muslim fortified city/palace. In Cordoba you might enjoy Hospederia Banos Arabes de Cordoba which is a small modest hotel with Arab baths. You can use the baths even if you do not stay at the hotel.

Posted by
7272 posts

We were in several towns in Spain last year, including all of these mentioned. We stayed in Cordoba one night and enjoyed that town, but for us, one full day/ night felt like we covered everything we had wanted to do. Be sure to walk out on the bridge during the evening.

We were in Malaga one full day, also. Check the day-of-week you’re planning at each town; some sites in Malaga were closed the day we were there. Another location an hour bus from Malaga is Nerja. Their Féria de Nerja was fun to attend, and it’s in early October. We loved relaxing at their Nerja Burriana beach, and we also toured the caves and would recommend that tour. We traveled by train/bus. All transportation was easy. Frigiliana, next to Nerja, was a charming pueblo blanco.

I would check flights from Malaga to give you the opportunity to see more sites and hopefully have a chance to relax at a beach.

Posted by
7272 posts

Hotels: we stayed at Hotel Marissal in Nerja - perfect location next to the Balcony of Europe. If you’re there during the Féria, it’s the optimum location. Looks like a single room runs $73 during your dates.

Cordoba, stayed at NH Hotel Amistad. It’s $109. Modern hotel in the Jewish section of town. You could probably find something nice that’s cheaper.

Malaga, our hotel was free from my Expedia points and an expensive splurge type. Try to stay near the Cathedral for great evening ambiance.

Sevilla, we stayed at an apartment.

I know you’re planning to leave before this date, but just so you know - Oct. 12 is a huge national holiday in Spain.

Posted by
266 posts

Again, thanks to all who responded. I am spending a night in Cordoba and in Malaga and will fly from there to London. I got a better price and flight time from there, plus no layover.

Posted by
2455 posts

In Cordoba, I spent 2 wonderful nights in a nice apartment at Mi Casa En Cordoba, very near the Mesquita. The owners used to be in the ceramics business, and have decorated this 3-apartment building, a former residence, with lovely ceramic pieces.

Posted by
829 posts

Never been here, but looks worth a visit:
The King's Path: Is this the scariest walk in the world?

The King's Path is a unique walkway in Spain but not one to attempt if you are scared of heights. It is 3km (1.9 miles) long, 100 metres (328 feet) high and just one metre wide. The King's Path (El Caminito del Rey) in Malaga was closed in 2001 for safety reasons but re-opened in 2015 after a massive restoration project. New fencing keeps walkers safe as they cross a narrow gorge with a sheer drop to the river below.