Please sign in to post.

Sevilla or Granada?

I will be traveling in May to Spain and will only have a short time. I think I can only visit either Sevilla or Granada and wondered which one people would recommend?

Posted by
5228 posts

Kathy,

I enjoyed our visit to both of these beautiful cities... But if I had to choose only one, I'd choose Sevilla.

There is so much to do & see there; The Royal Alcazár, the cathedral & it's amazing Giralda, Plaza España, Plaza de Toros, Triana...etc, etc... If you have the time, you can also take a day trip to Córdoba (my favorite!) from Sevilla, which is an easy 45 minute train ride.

I guess you also need to consider where you're coming from, & where you are heading to.

Enjoy your trip!

Posted by
2768 posts

I love both, and I will give a very odd answer: Granada is my favorite (and one of my favorite places on earth!), but I'd pick Sevilla.

Yes, strange, I know. The reason I say that is because Sevilla is so incredibly characteristic of Spain. It's the home of Flamenco, it's got charm and atmosphere and you can easily day trip to Cordoba to see an amazing sight, the Mesquita.

Granda has its own vibe, one that I love - it's a little grittier, a little funkier, and not everyone loves it like I do. The Alhambra is a world-class sight and if you dream of seeing it specifically, then go to Granada. Otherwise, you can't really go wrong, but Sevilla is more...iconic of a city. Granda is all about the Alhambra and the vibe. Which I love and will be returning to again (not sure when I'm going back to Sevilla, it's on the list for future trips but I'm returning to Granada earlier)

Posted by
15254 posts

That is indeed a tough choice as both deserve to be seen. Sevilla has more things to see.

But how much time do you have? You can probably do Granada only with one day and only one night stay (two of course would be better).

Posted by
4535 posts

New York or Chicago? Paris or London?

Honestly you won't go wrong with either. I'd pick based on what works best for you with transportation and itinerary. Or based on what you desire to see more.

Posted by
10 posts

Really tough choice. Agree with others that it depends on your interests , time, and logistics. I first went to Spain many years ago and one of my most enduring impressions was the Alhambra. So by that standard I would say choose Granada and spend your limited time there. However if it doesn't seem to have that kind of draw, then I think Priscilla and Mira sum it up well. In any case you can't go wrong. Both are great, for different reasons.
If you do choose Granada make sure you can get advanced reservations at the Alhambra online before you make your final plans. Tickets go fast so arrange as soon as you decide.

http://www.alhambra-patronato.es/index.php/Individual-Tourism/198+M5d637b1e38d/0/?&cHash=e96dd36b3924986ff12336a14fd5082a