Please sign in to post.

segovia vs toledo

visiting our son in madrid while he is there this summer and can’t d code between segovia and toledo ... thoughts? preferences? any other city equal distance as these that i’m missing?

thanks!

Posted by
27111 posts

I liked both of those cities (and Cuenca, which is easily reached via AVE). I spent multiple nights in each. Toledo has a lot more sights, and I especially loved the Mudejar architecture. It would be my top choice, but the others would provide a memorable day.

I also enjoyed several hours just wandering around Alcala de Henares, which is easily accessible via frequent commuter trains, even on weekends. Only later did I look at Trip Advisor and see that there were sights I could have visited, probably making for a full-day sidetrip.

Posted by
6788 posts

Both are worth visiting. Toledo is magical, especially if you are there when all the day-tripper crowds clear out - so I recommend staying the night. Like Toledo, Segovia also gets quite crowded during the day - the curse of being within easy striking distance from Madrid (and with good/easy/quick train connections to boot).

Tough call. Any way you can do both?

Posted by
4320 posts

Don't shortchange Madrid-the Royal Palace is beautiful!

Posted by
336 posts

Choices... :-)
Loved Segovia, but I think I’d go Toledo as well. More sights, general vibe, etc.
But The alcazar, the old aqueduc, the church in Segovia... :-)

Posted by
6535 posts

Either choice would be good, as would the Cuenca suggestion. Toledo would be my first choice, followed by Segovia, then Cuenca.

Posted by
6788 posts

Either way, I'd strongly recommend you spend the night in whichever city you choose. Being there late afternoon, evening, and morning - when the crowds of day-trippers are gone - gives you a completely different (and much better) experience.