Please sign in to post.

Segovia

I would love your suggestions about places to stay non Segovia, and any suggestions for eateries of any kind!

Posted by
25 posts

I have heard very good things about these hotels within the city: Áurea Convento Capuchinos. This is a five-stars hotel, the Eurostars Plaza Acueducto. (4 stars) next to the Aqueduct.

I also recommend staying at the Parador Nacional in Segovia. This hotel is part of the network of Paradores Nacionales. This Parador has only a drawback. It is outside the city and to get to the center you have to take a taxi if you don't have a car but the taxi should not cost more than 10 euros and 10 minutes each way.

The advantage of staying in a Parador is that it is part of a network of 100 Paradores Nacionales spread throughout the country with many points in common in all of them. All of them are in places with a lot to see, the service and price is very similar, they are usually in buildings with a lot of history, good views and they all have a very good restaurant. The Segovia Parador is not an old building but it has a fantastic view of the city.

The service in the Paradores is so good that you might consider not leaving the hotel for the high quality services they offer. It's like a 4-star hotel with a low price. I do not recommend you stay just in the Parador because the is a lot to see and enjoy outside the Parador.

The fact that it is a chain with similar services means that foreigners who come to this country more than once can acquire an Indiana Jones spirit more easily, because one can have more of that spirit of adventure knowing that every night they are going to sleep in a hotel with very good service, with a lot to see in the city and with great value. I would try it. Go jumping from Parador Nacional to Parador Nacional could be a nice alternative when coming to Spain.

To eat, I would recommend going to one of the two most prestigious restaurants in the city: 1) Restaurante Cándido 2) Restaurante José María.

In both of them they offer the suckling pig which is fantastic and the most likely thing is that when you go to eat you will not only enjoy that succulent dish but they will also put on a show in front of you with the aim of cutting the sucking pig in front of your table with a plate.

The city of Segovia is so grateful to the founder of Restaurante Cándido that there are two statues in the city thanking this man for having done a lot in the 1960s, 70s and 80s to promote to foreigners and Madrid citizens going to Segovia to taste the famous suckling pig and enjoy the city.

Enjoy it.

Posted by
334 posts

Just stayed at the Hotel Don Felipe, highly recommend it. Great location, nice rooms, great breakfast. Our favorite restaurant was actually a “vegetarian” place (they also had meat dishes), La Almuzara. Loved having a drink and complimentary tapas at Bar Rubi, tiny hole-in-the-wall spot off Plaza Mayor.

Posted by
6616 posts

The Parador is a couple miles outside of town, so not very convenient for some people. In your question you have non Segovia. In case that isn’t a typographical error, last year we stayed at Parador de La Granja, 6 miles from the aqueduct. The main site to see there is the Royal Palace of La Granja of San Ildefonso and its gardens. It isn’t on many peoples’ radar as a place to visit. We did have a rental car.

Posted by
313 posts

Just stayed at the Hotel Don Felipe, highly recommend it. Great location, nice rooms, great breakfast

I stayed in Hotel Don Felipe for 3 nights and also recommend it.