I'm laying out a 2 week trip for my wife and I in the fall of 2019. Current dates are 9/1 to 9/14 (UPDATED to Mid-OCTOBER based on feedback below), but we have some flexibility on the dates this far out. We are thinking fall because of the smaller crowds and cooler weather. We are in our early 50's and have traveled to Europe before, but not to Spain. Our interests lie more in History (structures/sites more so than art), food and strolling and aren't adverse to some touristy things. I strongly prefer to use public transportation vs. renting a car, but I'm open to input.
Here's what I have so far:
- Fly into Madrid from Detroit - 1 night
- Train to Toledo - 2 nights
- Fly (AVE Train) to Seville (from Madrid) - 3 nights
- Train to Cordoba - 1 night
- Bus to Granada - 3 nights
- Fly to Barcelona - 3 (4) nights
- Does anyone know if the AVE route from Cordoba to Granada will be complete by 9/19? I read on another forum that track testing has begun.
- Another option under consideration is to drop Madrid/Toledo and spend some time in Palma de Mallorca instead.
- Undecided if a night in Cordoba is better than a day trip to Cordoba from Seville.
Any feedback is truly appreciated. Thanks!
Edited to add changes in BOLD.