Please sign in to post.

San Sebastian to Santiago De Compostela

My husband and I will be driving from San Sebastian to Santiago de Compostela in early September and plan to spend one night along the way but not sure where. Current driving plan is San Sebastian stopping at Altamira Cave then to Oviedo to spend the night. The next morning stop in Cudillero and Playa de las Catadrales on our way to Santiago de Compostela. After looking at the drive I am now questioning staying in Oviedo. Another possible option-San Sebastian-Altamira Cave-Ribadesella sleep, Ribadesella-Cudillero-Playa de las Catadrales-Santiago de Compostella; or should we skip Ribadesella and stay in Cudillero, or somewhere else altogether???? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Posted by
847 posts

We did a trip that covered every place you mention (and a lot more) over 5 weeks two years ago. Here is the link to my blog where you might get some useful information. https://andiamo.zenfolio.com/blog/2017/9/crisscrossing-the-camino---5-weeks-in-northern-spain-part-3-san-sebastian-to-santander

Why are you questioning staying in Oviedo? We spent one night there and it was OK.

Cudillero is very small, very cute village to visit, would be easy to drive in and out of, had a variety of restaurants.

Be aware of long lines for the caves.

Also go online and check tide times for the Playa de las Catadrales if you want to walk on the beach you can only do that at certain times of the day. But it was amazing.

Posted by
1189 posts

Hi from Wisconsin,
Altimira...check to see what you will actually get to see. I think you will pay to see and walk through a replica. And it seems to me tickets were sold inadvance. Sold out well in advance.

If you want to see cave paintings, there is a small cave in a delightful setting called, cueva (cave) del Pindal. It is the real thing. Best to book in advance, but likely only a few days in advance. Small, picturesque, and with some paintings. One of two caves in Spain with a mammouth drawing.

You might be able to do both, Altimira and Pindal.. Seems we left Santandar, drove to El Pindal and then on to Gijon. Where westayed sevetal days. Which we preferred to Oviedo. But that once again is just us.

There is also the cueva near Puente Viesgo with an elk and blown hand prints. Once again a small place, but this us more developed that Pindal.

In Oviedo or Gijon make sure to order a bottle of non-carbonated cider. It comes in magnum size. They will pour some for you, when you are done with that portion they will pour more. Until the bottle is empty. It is likely they will provide you with small eats, free.

Great food in northern Spain.

Wayne iNWI

Posted by
11136 posts

We did the reverse drive and stayed in beautiful Leon in the famous Parador. The cathedral windows are magnificent when the sun is shining through them. We were there on a holiday and joined in the fun.
We stopped off in Ribadesilla and Comillas , and liked both of them.
This was part of a six week trip, Lisbon to Barcelona, and Santiago de Compostela and Leon were two of our favorite places.

Posted by
6883 posts

If you just have one night, I would skip the detour to the city of Oviedo and stay along the coast. Cudillero is a great stop, it's one of my favorite places along the coast. I have fond memories of the hotel "La Casona de Pio", and I see it still gets rave reviews.
However, to balance things out, Ribadesella is closer to the halfway point, and it's also quite nice - better if you're after a beach stop - but the setting isn't quite as unique as Cudillero's.

Posted by
6511 posts

When we drove from Santiago de Compostela to Hondarrbia, we spent nights in Ribadeo (it was near Cathedral Beach) and Santillana Del Mar (it’s near the Altamira caves). We made stops along the way; Muxia, Cathedral beach, Picos de Europa, Canga de Onis, Getaria, Zumaia. When we were at the beach, it was high tide, so we didn’t get to walk on it. If you’re going to Cathedral beach, you won’t be backtracking to head south to Leon. The Parador in Leon is very nice. Shortly after we stayed there in 2017 it closed for renovations. If you decide you might go that route and stay there, check to see if it has reopened. It isn’t currently listed on the Paradors website.

Posted by
80 posts

Excellent suggestions! We just booked La Casona de Pio in Cudillero. We loved the Amalfi Coast and Cinca Terre fishing villages in Italy and Cudillero looks similar. We will definitely stop at Cueva Pindal and possibly Altamira as well. You are right, Altamira are replicas, but we may go there to get some perspective. Checked the tides at Playa de las Catadrales and can easily arrive by the 10:53 low tide from Cudillero. Any restaurant suggestions for Cudillero? Many Thanks!

Posted by
3894 posts

If you make a stop at Altamira Caves (they also have a great on-site museum), make sure to also check out the the adjacent medieval town of Santillana del Mar, really quaint with its cobble stone streets and ancient Romanesque monastery, though can get quite popular in the summer months.