Please sign in to post.

San Sebastian

We plan to plan to travel from San Sebastian to Bilbao in April by way of La Rioja region, is it worth staying overnight in Girona?
Thanks.

Posted by
27192 posts

Do you mean travel from San Sebastian to Barcelona?

I like Girona a great deal; I stayed there for several nights myself. Whether I'd recommend that you do that would depend on how much time you're spending in the Basque Country (are you seeing Bilbao?) and in Barcelona.

Posted by
31 posts

We will be arriving in San Sebastian and spending some time on the coast before visiting the Picos de Europas.

Posted by
12172 posts

San Sebastian will likely be rainy and cold in April. It's a nice town but the beach is best experienced in the high summer months. Not far from Pamplona is Olite, which has one of my favorite castles.

Will you have a chance to see any of Semana Santa? It's the end of March in 2018. Holy Thursday in Zaragosa was a truly great, non-touristy, experience. Valladolid would be another great choice. They are both known for their Semana Santa celebrations but not famous outside of Spain like Seville. Barcelona has virtually nothing going on except one procession on Good Friday that is run by Seville expats and not connected to the local church.

If you will miss Semana Santa, you might try to see the April Fair in Seville. Another great cultural experience with very few tourists. I'd go at least once during the day and again at night. It runs 24 hours. a day from the 15th to the 21st.