Please sign in to post.

Salamanca

Good day all,

Any recommendations on what to see and do in Salamanca, and breakfast, lunch and evening tapas?

Thanks,

Nate

Posted by
93 posts

Hi, thank you very much for the info and link.

Posted by
27122 posts

Salamanca has a large and attractive historic area, so it's great to have extra time to enjoy just wandering around.

Posted by
6547 posts

I enjoyed its Plaza Mayor. There is the university, the cathedral, and the Casa de las Conchas (house of shells). One can get a great view of the city and cathedral from the far side of the Enrique Estevan Bridge, or from the Roman bridge. Finally, you can search for the frog (Rana de la universidad) on the University facade.

The last time we were there in 2007 a young lady in shabby clothing was begging for money outside the cathedral in the morning. Later that evening we saw the same person, but this time nicely dressed, out on the town.

Posted by
765 posts

As a North American, you might appreciate the Convent of San Esteban in Salamanca. Much of it is dedicated to the work of monastic orders in North America, particularly the Dominicans. The cloister around the courtyard has multiple cases of artifacts related to this. Inside the main church, I recommend taking a long look at the magnificent Triumph of the Church in the balcony. Pay particular attention to the North American wild turkey down by the chariot's back wheel!! It is a great piece of religious propaganda!

On the university campus, definitely seek out "El Cielo de Salamanca," which is the ceiling to the old library. It is a wondrous celestial map of the major constellations. Friends recently visited and said photography was not prohibited; I had visited a couple years earlier and there was a "no photographs" sign. Either way, it is a beautiful piece of art.

Sadly our favorite tapas place appears to have closed. However, if you are willing to spring for a high-end meal (and the Euros to match), we did really love Restaurante El Monje. Great space and a terrific meal (lunch in our case).