Please sign in to post.

Sagrada Familia Tickets

In addition to the Sagrada Familia website, are there any other reliable ticket vendors for the Sagrada Familia? I just discovered to my chagrin that it is apparently sold out the day that we will be in Barcelona --- 08-Dec-2021.

Thanks

Posted by
11156 posts

Only one day in Barcelona? Can you fly in a day or two earlier?

Posted by
491 posts

Weird - are you hitting a local holiday? I can see every otherday is available - so just reorganize your trip I'd suggest - you know you need like a week for Barcelona right...

Posted by
157 posts

Thanks, but I'm on a cruise. No control over the port duration and date,

Posted by
27111 posts

While it is disappointing to miss out on the interior of La Sagrada Familia, keep in mind that:

• You can still see the exterior (and for free!).
  • There are many other modernista buildings to enjoy in Barcelona: Casa Mila/La Pedrera, Casa Batllo and Palau de la Musica Catalana are the most often visited. You can walk past many others, many of them in the Eixample neighborhood not too far from Casa Mila and Casa Batllo. At the time of my 2017 visit, the city map from the tourist office (I think sold for 1 euro) marked the location of a lot of the other modernista buildings.

Parc Guell is an outdoor experience that might be perfectly fine on December 8. I really have no idea now problematic the weather might be; Barcelona is not usually cold.

I also like the Sant Pau modernista site. Unlike the others I've mentioned, you can normally walk right up to the ticket counter and get a ticket for immediate entry. For the others you'll probably need to buy your tickets before you get into town. Otherwise, you may face sellouts. With La Sagrada Familia closed on December 8, it seems likely that even more people than usual will be heading to Barcelona's other top sights.

The Picasso Museum can also be slammed; that's another place for which you should buy a ticket in advance if you want to visit.

The large art museum, MNAC, has an interesting collection of modernista furniture, jewelry and decorative arts. It also has some wonderful medieval frescoes rescued from churches in the Pyrenees--the sort of thing you don't often get to see in a museum.

The tourist office's tour of the Barri Gotic is very good. I recommend it highly if the timing works for you.

Posted by
157 posts

Thanks. I visited SF in 2012. Traveling this time with two others who have never seen it. My primary interest is in seeing the progress since 2012 most of which I believe is on the exterior. So just seeing that would probably be OK for my wife and me. Be nice if my friends could see the interior too.

Posted by
257 posts

I was going to suggest you check with your cruise line to see if they have tours available but then I saw this on the Sagrada Familia website:

The tower of the Virgin Mary to be finished in December
As Esteve Camps, the Executive Chairman of the Junta Constructora, announced at last year's Open Doors Days, all the efforts of the construction work in 2021 are focused on finishing this tower, the second tallest of the Basilica as a whole, which will be 138 metres high. Currently, the tower of the Virgin Mary is 134 metres high and all that remains to be done is to place the illuminated twelve-pointed star, which will complete the first of the six central towers. The star on the tower is scheduled to be illuminated on 8 December with a celebration for all the citizens.

It might be worth just wandering over to for this.

Posted by
491 posts

The tower of the Virgin Mary to be finished in December

Oh that will be cool - we were last there in 2001 - so really looking forward to seeing some significant progress when we visit next year

Posted by
27111 posts

I'm puzzled about this. The official La Sagrada Familia website has December 8 blocked off. It seems unlikely all tickets for that date would have sold out, so I suspect it's not going to open for tourist visits that day. So I wonder what those tour companies are selling.

Posted by
157 posts

I will let you know on my return. I have a voucher from CityWonders. I hope it's legit.

Just speculation, but because there is a big event on December 8, perhaps the tour companies bought up all the tickets? Maybe a cruise or two in town had an impact too?

Viator was offering tickets as well, but the available time slot wasn't going to work for us. So we went CityWonders.

Posted by
157 posts

UPDATE: We are home from our Transatlantic cruise. Sagrada Familia was indeed closed on December 8. Not certain whether it was for the “Feast of the Immaculate Conception” or due to the dedication of the newly completed “Tower of the Virgin Mary.”

No clue as to why CityWonders didn’t know this. They took our money for the tour and emailed me the day before we arrived in Barcelona to tell us that the tour had been cancelled. They did refund our money. Disappointed nonetheless.