Please sign in to post.

Sagrada Familia Tickets

We will be in Barcelona from April 1 through April 4 and I'm preparing to purchase tickets for the Sagrada Familia. Does anyone have any recommendations regarding which package to buy (with/without a guide, with/without Gaudi Museum, etc.) or time of day? How much time should we allow? Also, someone told me that we should become "Friends" and get enhanced benefits; however, I've found mixed (and dated) information regarding having membership cards mailed vs pickup (due to the short turnaround time.) Any insight you can give would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Posted by
993 posts

We booked entry at 9am (when they opened) and our tower visit at 9:30. I would still get there by 8:30 and line up so you are one of the first in - the experience in that 1st 20 minutes when hardly anyone was there was drastically different than when we came down from the tower around 10 and it was more crowded.

We did not get the audio guide - 1 because we had kids with us and 2 because I messed up in buying the tickets. Would have been nice to have it.

I would also maybe do a 9:45 or 10 tower to have to time to finish the audio guide.

We looked at the friends thing but maybe they weren;t doing it any more? Or maybe too much hassle? I can;t remember but we decided against it.

Also be sure when you arrive you are lining up the correct place!

Kim

Posted by
355 posts

I agree about going early. If you pre-book your tickets, there will be virtually no line. If you see a big line, walk to the front and ask about pre-booked tickets and you get right in. Being there before the crowds is amazing. I didn't do a guide either so can't comment on that.

Posted by
2942 posts

I personally always recommend the S.F. with audioguide and towers, this way you can visit at your own pace. The "Friends" option is not aimed to the casual visitor so I'm not sure you'll really be able to take advantage of any benefits.

Posted by
5 posts

Thanks so much. This is very helpful. I do have a quick question. For the audio guide, is this something that you listen to through a smartphone?

Posted by
15591 posts

I was just there and Kim's advice is spot-on. Line up at 8.30 with your tickets so you really are one of the first ones in. Besides taking a few people-less photos, I was able to sit for a few minutes and enjoy the peace (with some piped music) before it became quiet noisy with both many tourists and the workmen started banging and drilling. The audio guide is small, hand-held and can fit in a jacket pocket if you don't want to loop it around your neck. There is a booth on the right near the top of the stairs to pick up the audio guides. I was glad I had the audio guide for the cathedral since it helps you see things you wouldn't necessarily notice otherwise. It is somewhat difficult to find all the numbered spots - don't hesitate to ask the few guards spread around the cathedral. The entrance for ticket-holders is the Nativity Facade, but the audio tour begins with the Passion Facade, at the entrance for those purchasing tickets on the spot.

You have to choose one tower. The Passion Tower gives you the choice of descending by elevator. The Nativity Tower descent is only on foot. I read a few recommendations and ended up confused about which to choose. My hotel owner helped me make the booking and he said the Passion Tower was the more popular, so I went with it. I have no idea if I missed anything :-) You have to leave all big bags and backpacks in lockers next to the tower entrances. You need a €1 coin to operate the locker (and you get it back). I don't think it matters which time you choose for the tower. You can continue your visit to the cathedral after the tower.

You can get glimpses of the crypt from the apse. To visit the crypt (free) you need to exit the cathedral site. The crypt is open for a few hours a day. When I was there, it was open for a couple of hours in the early (for Spain) morning and in the late afternoon/early evening. I meant to go back to see it, but then I forgot . . . too many other Catalonian delights, I guess.

Posted by
993 posts

We did the Nativity tower... I think you cross the bridge to both... if you go up Nativity, you go down on foot... a really small little spiral staircase which looks terrifying in photos but in reality was really cool and not scary at all!

scroll down this random blog I googled to see a pic of the staircase - it was really cool!
http://livinginflux.com/travel/sagrada-familia-church-big-pictures/

Posted by
5 posts

Thank you to everyone for sharing your knowledge and experiences! This helps greatly. Thanks!