Please sign in to post.

Sagrada Familia

Is there a hand rail to use when descending from the towers?

Posted by
27120 posts

Do a Google search on Sagrada Familia handrail and click on the Trip Advisor link from 2010. I'm guessing the situation hasn't changed. I'm sorry that I haven't figured out how to copy and paste on my tablet, so I can't post a link for you.

The short answer seems to be that for the Nativity Facade you take the elevator up and walk down a narrow, crowded staircase that has handrails. If you choose the Passion Facade, you use an elevator both up and down.

I trust that someone who has actually been up the Nativity Tower will confirm or correct thks.

Posted by
287 posts

I have been researching this very topic for my upcoming trip in October and I have the same understanding from the RS guidebook - the Passion tower has up & down elevators but the Nativity tower is an up elevator only, with descent via the spiral staircase

Posted by
993 posts

The spiral staircase is super cool! I saw some photos before we went and I was a little nervous about it from how it looked, but it was totally neat and wasn't scary at all.

Kim

Posted by
143 posts

Just went up the Passion Tower. its an elevator up and a spiral staircase down. I saw many elderly people on the stairs handling them fine

Posted by
16 posts

Just as Jon said, with the Passion tower you will ride the elevator up (no more than about 4 people at a time) and will take the stairs down. Yes, there is definitely a handrail to hold on to should you need it. Honestly, it is not that bad unless you are going in to the experience with a fear of heights or confined spaces. We were just there in mid June and there was not any crowding of the stairs and I was able to take lots of pictures from above and got a fantastic pic looking down on the spiral staircase. I hope you have a great time...the whole experience was phenomenal!

Posted by
139 posts

We went up the passion tower in the elevator and I only saw stairs as an option down. It was not that bad-worse if you have big feet. If you would not miss seeing the view you can stay down and enjoy the church. BTW if you have a daypack or large handbag they will make you store it in a locker that costs a Euro so make sure you have a coin.