Please sign in to post.

Safety in Seville

I have read that the Santa Cruz area in Seville is not safe especially in the evenings and night. The suggestion is to not stay in that area and to always to take a taxi to and from any destination in Santa Cruz. I have also heard that Maria Luisa Park is especially dangerous. Can anyone confirm or deny this?

Posted by
2768 posts

Seriously? Where did you hear this? Santa Cruz, if you mean the popular historic town center, is quite safe. I mean, maybe there are pickpockets about like in any other city, but I'd say violent crime is very, very unlikely. This is the most popular part of Sevilla, it is FULL of tourists and hotels. It is where you want to stay, no need for taxis or anything. In fact, taxis CANNOT go into many of the streets - pedestrianized. Perhaps there is some confusion - there may be a rough suburb with the same name, I have no clue, but the Barrio Santa Cruz near the Cathedral and such is far from unsafe! People are around in cafes at all hours - this is Spain, dinner starts at 10 and bars are dead until after midnight - "night" takes on a whole other meaning, it is a time when everyone is out and therefore the unsafe feeling of empty streets is not really a thing until something like 2 AM. And at that time it's still safe, just less busy.

I have not been to Maria Luisa park at night, but during the day it is totally fine. Plaza de Espana is full of tourists, and last time I was there there was some sort of charity race starting (looked like one of the 5k for cancer cure races you see all the time in the US). I would be surprised if it turned into something bad at night, but I'll leave that up to someone who has been there.

Posted by
1530 posts

Would you be so kind to post the source of what you read?
Thx

Posted by
5220 posts

Jerry,

I'm curious. Where did you read this information?

My mom & I stayed in the Santa Cruz area last October & we never felt unsafe when walking there in the evenings or nights.

As Mira has mentioned, there are numerous cafés, bakeries & shops in the Santa Cruz neighborhood & there are plenty of
people walking around during the evenings.

We did not visit the Maria Luisa Park other than daytime hours, so can't comment as to the safety of it during the night.

Posted by
330 posts

I was there in Seville during the April Feria. Traveling solo and as a woman, I can say I felt very safe for the 3 and 1/2 days that I was there. I stayed out late a couple of nights and even did any early walk by the Plaza de Espana/park area. No issues anywhere.

Posted by
33 posts

Santa Cruz is like the Disneyland of Andalucia...the police and the politicians want this area to be really safe. So no problem there at all, nice and artificial...Don´t worry.