Please sign in to post.

Safety in Barcelona

Just wondering if it's safe to travel to Barcelona with the current political situation there. We plan to visit the Barcelona and Madrid from December 7-14, with Lisbon at the beginning of the trip. Do we bail out of Barcelona and just stay longer in Lisbon and Madrid? What's a good city to add to the itinerary? Have thought of Granada and/or Seville, coming from Lisbon, but travel seems cumbersome. Would very much appreciate any advice. Thanks!

Posted by
2768 posts

I can't help with the current situation in Barcelona. Hopefully someone there now will answer that.

In your current plan, how are you getting from Lisbon to Spain? IF you skip Barcelona you could add more time near Madrid (a night in Toledo and one in Segovia?) OR go to Seville. It's a 2-3 hour train ride from Madrid so not too far out of the way. Fly from Lisbon to Madrid (or Seville!), get a train to Seville, visit for a few days, back to Madrid,visit Madrid, and then fly home from there. That's what I would do. Seville is beautiful, likely to have decent weather, and I think a bit more interesting than extra time in Madrid/near Madrid.

Posted by
7 posts

We are flying to Lisbon (day trip to Sintra) from Chicago, spend 4 days there and then fly to Barcelona (day trip to Montserrat) and stay there for 5 days. From Barcelona, we will take the AVE train to Madrid and stay there for 4 days (with a day trip to Toledo).

Our plan B is to split the time between Lisbon and Madrid, adding a day trip to Porto, Lisbon and another day trip to Segovia. We're trying to minimize going back and forth to Madrid in order to visit another city.

Do you have any suggestions? Thanks!!

Posted by
1005 posts

I would keep Barcelona on my itinerary. It is a spectacular city and right now there's been a drop of 15% in tourism--so that means the lines will be shorter for Sagrada Familia, the Picasso Museum, and the Gaudi houses. As a bonus, you'll be welcomed by the locals and find the restaurants less crowded and hotels easier to book. Go for it.

Posted by
7 posts

Don't know where the locals are protesting. We don't want to be caught in the commotion. But I agree, I'd love to visit Barcelona now as I'm not sure when I'd be able to return to Spain.

Tried to reach someone from Barcelona who's active in this forum. Hopefully he has an answer for me.

Thanks for your advise!

Posted by
2939 posts

Bon dia, Ruby and the others...

Safety, as in personal safety, hasn't been an issue at any time -except for a tiny minority of Spaniards (as in 'those defending the unity of Spain', also known as 'unionists') that have behaved aggressively in some of the demonstrations of the unionist camp. The rest of that camp, as well as the indy camp, are demonstrating peacefully -we're civilised people! Yesterday, for example, an estimated 200,000 independentists rallied in one of the main avenues in Barcelona: not a single incident.

Anyhow, these are uncertain and troubled moments for a majority of us Catalans as, not only they (the Spanish government) are preventing us from expressing our preferences as to how to drive our nation, Catalonia, into the future, but they're also attempting to crush the little self-government we have had until now. Therefore, it's difficult to predict how things will evolve. At present, I doubt there'll be violence from the citizens' side (other than, maybe, the above-mentioned scuffles by the Spanish alt-right), but I can't say the same about the Spanish paramilitary police purposely stationed in Catalonia these weeks -as it was already demonstrated on voting day. Assuming they're not ordered to disperse any of the -and I insist!- peaceful demonstrations, there should not be any violence. In the understanding, of course, they'd be the ones exercising such violence, as demonstrators have never exercised it -also, as everybody was able to see in the dozens of footages aired during the referendum day last Oct 1st.

In principle neither the Spanish paramilitary police nor the Spanish National Police has the 'authority' to act on demonstrations in Catalonia as this falls under the scope of the Catalan police, the Mossos d'Esquadra -and the Mossos will not attack unarmed peaceful civilians- but again, these past weeks we've all seen the Spanish government repeatedly twisting the laws and the supposedly 'checks and balances' of the system to serve their objectives... therefore, now nothing is clear anymore and we can well see Spanish police unilaterally acting on demonstrations.

Life goes on though, meaning that, as I've said in the past, people continue going to work, kids to school and everything is open and running... except on days in which demonstrations and/or stoppages are called, then mobility can be a serious issue and it's not guaranteed you'll be able to visit whatever you had plan.

Note however Ruby that December is still several weeks away, so, in principle, I wouldn't worry nor consider any changes to my travelling plans at present... simply keep tuned and see how things evolve.

If (if!) I thought it's not safe or far too inconvenient for visitors to come I would certainly post it here -albeit don't expect much warning as events evolve very quickly. Yet so far, other than some understandably "nuisances", there's no reason why visitors should alter their plans, especially if that should imply an important financial cost to you.

In any case, whatever happens, and regardless how this evolves, one thing should be clear: tourists are neither a target (nor have ever been) nor, frankly, a priority either, as what's at stake is far more important, it's our future. There's no violence among citizens and, as a visitor one can raise "the issue" without fear of any backlash -yet if you have a strong opinion better keep it to yourself... duh!

PART 1

Posted by
2939 posts

PART 2

I've been meaning to work on a sort of mini-blog to keep my friends abroad abreast of the situation as well as warning those visiting about potential disruptions etc... however, these are convulsed moments for many of us and it's hard to be able to find the time to set it up. I hope I will be able to have something ready, even if basic... by next week (hopefully!). With the permission of the Moderator of the forum -with whom I've already cleared the issue- I will refer to that mini-blog to keep anyone interested informed about the political developments, my "personal" analysis on the evolution of this issue and also the known disruptions (demonstrations, stoppages, etc) as they're announced. In this manner, we'll not clutter the forum with information that, albeit relevant, it's not strictly related to travel -as intended by RS anyway!

As of today, there's a huge demonstration convoked by the Indy camp for Saturday 21st at 5 pm in Barcelona at Passeig de Gràcia corner with Aragó Street, two very large streets in the city. Expect mobility in the area be difficult and, obviously, traffic be diverted. If you're arriving in Barcelona and are heading to a hotel anywhere in the central Eixample... be patient! Moving thru a demonstration on foot is not "that" complicated, but requires patience and good manners. People tend to let you pass thru -when possible!- when carrying a suitcase and displaying politeness. If that's your case, try to advance thru the sidewalks. Note that the Passeig de Gràcia train station might be closed down, for security purposes, and reaching certain attractions in the area (ie Casa Batlló, Casa Ametller or La Pedrera, among others) can be challenging. There are announced more demonstrations as well as stoppages for the near future, but details haven't yet been released -these large gatherings require careful planning.

Enric

Note: I will not enter into any arguments... Ruby asked my opinion on a PM and I thought it'd be worth responding publicly, so I'm stating "my" view. Period. I don't wish to start anything with anybody, I have enough on my plate as it is with the daily political developments. If anyone doesn't like my posts, simply ignore them, please. Thank you.

Posted by
20 posts

Thank you Enric for your updates. My husband and I will be in Barcelona from 11/10-11/14 and have held off on booking a hotel due to the uncertainty of the situation in the area. All of the information you are providing is very helpful, and will hopefully help us make a decision on whether to visit Barcelona or reroute our trip to another part of Spain.

Posted by
3240 posts

My husband and I will be arriving at Barcelona Sants this Saturday afternoon. It's too late to change our plans. I'm disappointed to hear about the planned demonstration between the train station and our hotel.

Posted by
7 posts

Hi Enric,

Thank you for your thoughtful and helpful posts. It goes without saying that you are very passionate about your state and your people, which I think is quite admirable. You're right - what's going on in Barcelona has nothing to do us, tourists. As with anywhere else, one should take caution and use common sense. What's happening in Barcelona should not deter us from visiting your beautiful city.

Buena suerte!

Ruby

Posted by
531 posts

December is a ways off, but FWIW, the the Embassy sent this out on the 17th:

Consulate General of the United States of America
Barcelona, Spain
Security Message for U.S. Citizens: Demonstrations Regarding Catalan Political Situation

October 17, 2017

The U.S. Embassy in Madrid and the U.S. Consulate General in Barcelona inform U.S. citizens that demonstrations related to the evolving political situation in Catalonia are expected to continue in the coming days and weeks, beginning the evening of October 17.

U.S. citizens should be aware of the increased police presence throughout the region, and keep in mind that even demonstrations intended to be peaceful can turn confrontational and escalate into violence. Avoid areas of demonstrations, and exercise caution if in the vicinity of large gatherings.

U.S. citizens traveling or residing in affected areas, including Barcelona, should expect possible disruptions to public transportation and other services. We encourage U.S. citizens to check for updates at the following Twitter accounts of local authorities: Mossos d’Esquadra, Guardia Civil, Spanish National Police, Transports Metropolitans de Barcelona, Guardia Urbana de Barcelona, Rodalies Catalunya, Emergencies Catalunya, Catalan Transit Services.

For further information about security in Spain, including our most recent Security Messages:
· See the State Department's travel website for the Worldwide Caution, Travel Warnings, Travel Alerts, and Spain’s Country Specific Information.
· Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security messages and make it easier to locate you in an emergency.
· Contact the U.S. Embassy in Madrid, located at Calle de Serrano, 75, via email at AskACS@state.gov or by phone at + (34) 91-587-2200, 8:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. Monday through Friday. The after-hours emergency number for U.S. citizens is the same: + (34) 91-587-2200
· Contact the U.S. Consulate General in Barcelona, located at Paseo Reina Elisenda, in the neighborhood of Sarria at + (34) 93-280-2227, 8:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Monday through Friday, or via email at BarcelonaACS@state.gov. The after-hours emergency number for U.S. citizens is + (34) 91-587-2200.

Posted by
4573 posts

Sometimes police twitter access isn't always comforting. Small groups, as in under 30 people have been detained at times by Mossos for carrying prohibited weapons, or two opposing groups for throwing chairs at each other. Generally, small change compared to 200,000 but is on their Twitter feed.
The other action not mentioned is strikes, general or prolonged strikes, this is less about safety and more about practicality or one's ability to accept change in plans. Some reported having to walk 45 minutes to their hotel as transport could not get them closer or was not running. There could be periods of road or sidewalk gridlock. Sagrada Familia refunded tickets when they closed for the general strike, but of course days around it were booked so there was no alternate offers. One has to decide how flexible they are and whether their agenda is sites, or ambience and a feel for the city.
I have Valencia as my alternate city as I stil need to depart BCN airport, but if I was flying from Madrid, I woild consider Seville, Salamanca, Toledo, even Valencia as close cities for 2-5 day stays. Though December's a ways off and I wouldn't change at this date...though it never hurts to research alternatives. in case a plan B becomes necessary.

Posted by
2 posts

We will be in Barcelona next week (Tuesday - Thursday) and have been advised that if we 'just go about our business' (visiting Parc Guell, Sagrada Familia, tapas tour etc.) that we should be fine. I will continue to check on this forum to see if there are any updates with regards to planned protests etc. Any helpful information is greatly appreciated.

Posted by
437 posts

@Enric, thanks for posting about the demonstration on Saturday, I shared it with my daughter who is on her way from Madrid to Barcelona right now.

I'm assuming she will be fine but I am glad she is meeting up with a friend who can understand the local news. She is interested in political science and is following events with great curiosity.

Posted by
2939 posts

Hi Beth,
Great moment to be visiting if one's interested in "history in the making" :) Totally sure you'll daughter will be fine, the demonstration tomorrow will follow the same pattern than all the previous: chanting, much flag waving, shouting at times, speeches and possibly -albeit not sure- some form of entertainment to follow, be music, be castellers, be other displays of Catalan heritage. All in a very civilised, peaceful and fraternal gathering, with lots of camaraderie, like all the others at the indy camp.... so far.

Posted by
33 posts

Enric,

Thank you for the frequent updates. Is there a source that you would recommend following to know where protests are scheduled? I will be in Barcelona next weekend. I've been following general news reports through El Pais but assume there is some source that tells locations of upcoming protests?

Posted by
2939 posts

I certainly wouldn't follow El Pais for this issue, once a great newspaper it has now become a gross shadow of good journalism having fallen into the sad post-truth cesspool of our days. But again, that's my opinion. For more accurate information about what you're asking, I'd turn to http://www.elnacional.cat/en/ and also http://english.vilaweb.cat There you'll encounter info, when it becomes available, about new protests or other forms of civil action to occur.

But as I said in another post, this is not "a calendar of festivities" or "the list of national holidays", if you catch my drift... the situation is volatile and quickly evolving so the response of civil society to the abuses of power (or attempts of abuse) by the Spanish government, which is what triggers protests and stoppages, it's not something "that's planned in advance"... they're just called upon if and when the situation requires it, so it's normal to convoke people for a protest/demonstration at short notice. Thus, you can find that sometimes the newspapers report about protests "once" they've happened -or while they "are" happening- not before, in advance. Let's not forget this is a full-fledged rebellion, peaceful, but a rebellion nonetheless.

Posted by
33 posts

Thank you, Enric. I appreciate the additional resources for following events as they are happening.

Posted by
433 posts

Monitor events. Under a never-used article in the Spanish constitution, the Spanish government has just announced its intent to initiate direct rule in Catalonia. I will let those in Spain comment on the possible consequences of this decision. But it seems as though tensions are escalating.

Posted by
3240 posts

We are in Barcelona now. I do not feel that we are in any physical danger. With that said, I wish we hadn't come at this time. It feels like we had long-standing plans to visit a married couple, and found out at the last minute that one of them had filed for divorce.

Posted by
4573 posts

traylaparks, first I chuckled at your response, but then I thought about how sad it is. It is how I have been feeling all day. The images of a purposely cut Spanish flag makes my stomach clench. I am a pacifist at heart and from the 'why can't we all get along' school (maybe it's just being Canadian). But today has moved me that much closer to cancelling my Barcelona plans. I am leaving for Granada on Thursday with Barcelona at the end of my trip. I don't want the uncertainty hanging over me and know I can do an independent trip to Barcelona with short notice when things are calm. Valencia is looking better all the time.....

Posted by
6 posts

I have been trying to follow the situation from the states, relying primarily on travel posts and the New York Times. We have plans to bring our college kids for Christmas for 5 days to Barcelona and then head over to Portugal to visit friends for new years. Part of me wants to come and see the beauty of Barcelona and also watch history unfold but I am weary of the article I read yesterday in the NYT https://www.nytimes.com/2017/10/21/world/europe/spain-catalonia-mariano-rajoy.html. We can always just book our flight to Lisbon earlier but I guess we should wait and see what takes place in the next few weeks.

Posted by
72 posts

We just returned from a 10 day trip to Spain including 4 days in Barcelona. On Sunday, Oct. 8 we did get caught in the middle of the large anti-independence protest. We were not aware there was a planned protest and were on the way to the Palau de la Musica when our taxi stopped and indicated he could not continue due to the streets being closed.

It was early in the day and there were only a few hundred gathered at the intersection a block away from Placa Catalunya. My 83 y.o. mom and I were enjoying taking pictures of people with flags, etc. But as we progressed towards the Palau and the day moved closer to noon - the crowd grew from a few hundred to thousands.

Long story short - it took us an hour to go a block before we found refuge in a hotel lobby (huge kudos to the Hotel Room Mate Pau who graciously allowed my mom to rest in their breakfast area). It was frightening only because of my mom's pre-existing heart condition and with the numbers of people I couldn't get her out. If it had been just me - I would have felt safe, maybe slightly claustrophobic but otherwise fine. People were passionate but very kind - they could see my mom was in distress and tried their best to let her through.

As others have said - it is safe to go to Barcelona but the mood is different. I personally enjoyed talking to locals and hearing their views of what is going on - not just viewing CNN clips. There is huge value in listening from the people themselves - from both sides - to get a better understanding of this issue. Isn't that why we travel? Even my mom was glad she could be there that day - even though it eventually led to a hospital visit later in the trip... I would never recommend you throw yourself in the middle of a protest but there are plenty of places you can still go in Barcelona and not be near the protests and hear from the people and I would highly recommend you do so.

Posted by
4573 posts

'Civil riots' sounds worse than 'demonstration'....must have been a little lost in translation. Having sailed Costa, I know it can happen. How confusing that brochure is going to be for tourists.
That being said, I changed my Barcelona plans the other day. I leave for Spain this afternoon and am much more relaxed than last week's uncertainties and fixations on Catalonia. Will still use BCN airport for home return, but Valencia promises to be less volitile. I am a happy Spanish traveler.