Please sign in to post.

RS Spain 2019 book

I did a total bonehead move... While in the airport, waiting to board our flight, I wanted to pull out my trusty RS Spain 2019 book to do some last minute review of our first city. To my disbelief, I could not find the book anywhere in my suitcase! I totally panicked, headed to the airport bookstore, and bought their last copy of RS Spain 2019. Sure, I wouldn't have my endless post-it notes inside, but I cannot imagine doing the trip without Rick's walking tours and priceless information.

Of course, as soon as we got to the first hotel, I found my original copy hidden in my suitcase. So I am now the proud owner of 2 copies and am interested in selling the new, mint condition copy. Do you have any ideas/ tips where to try to sell? Is it even worth it? Of course I paid way more at the airport than I would elsewhere, so I know I will never recover the cost, but I just feel silly having 2 copies of the same book when the joy of RS should be shared!

Thank you in advance

Posted by
2165 posts

One possibility is to leave it in one of your lodgings for the use of those who come after you.

Posted by
7280 posts

Glad you found your copy, with your notes. It sounds like there’s no chance you’ll be passing thructhqt airport again, to see if they’d let you return it? Do you have the receipt? We’ve stayed a number of places throughout Europe that have had copies of Rick Steves (and/or other guidebooks) the shelf, for guests to peruse. Some may have been purchased by the owner of the B&B or apartment, but my sense is they were mostly left behind, or donated by guests who no longer needed them, or were “paying them forward.” Hope you get an acceptable resolution, and have a great trip!

P.S. Better a lost guidebook than a lost passport, moneybelt, billfold, or purse!!!!

Posted by
1936 posts

Some hotels have a "library" where guests can leave a book so others can read it. That's what I'd do, leave it for another guest.

Posted by
6265 posts

Same here. One of the RS books we used for our last tour we decided not to keep, so we donated it to the "library" in our last hotel.