Please sign in to post.

Rough itinerary for April/May 2017 - and whether to cut Sevilla or Granada?

Hello all,

My partner and I are planning a trip to Spain this spring. I suspect that he -- being the more pragmatic one -- will suggest cutting one day trip (either Toledo from Madrid or Montserrat from Barcelona) and possibly either Sevilla or Granada, so I would love feedback on those day trips and those two cities in particular. I was tempted to cut Sevilla (due to a shorter list of must-see sights), but a lot of posters here suggest (without really going into detail about why) that they wished they'd had more time in Sevilla and less time in Granada, and I wonder why that is.

Also, is there any city to which you would give substantially more or less time (we have about 15-16 days total, including two travel days. The itinerary below assumes a 15-day trip) than I've allotted below?

Madrid - 5 overnights, day of arrival + 3 full days in Madrid + 1 morning/afternoon (El Escorial)
- Toledo - day trip from Madrid (morning/afternoon/early evening)
Sevilla - 2 overnights, 1 evening + 1 full day + 1 morning
Granada - 2 overnights, 1 evening + 1 full day + 1 morning/afternoon
Barcelona - 4 overnights, 2 full days in Barcelona + 1 evening
- Montserrat - day trip from Barcelona (morning/afternoon)

What do you think? We're young and energetic, not partying types (so not concerned about which city has the best nightlife). We love art museums (hence so much time in Madrid between the Prado, Reina Sofia, and Thyssen-Bornemisza) and cathedrals, and we're eager to see Moorish Spain (Real Alcazar in Sevilla and/or the Alhambra in Granada).

We would, in a perfect world, have much more time and take things more slowly, but we did well two years ago hitting Vienna (four nights), Venice (three nights -- wish we'd had more), Florence (four nights), and Rome (five nights).

Thanks for any help/guidance you can provide!

Zara

Posted by
6541 posts

Both Toledo and Monserrat are great places to see. Monserrat is about a 1 hr train ride and I always drive to Toledo. Regarding Granada, for me it's 2 full days at most; 1 for the Alhambra and one for the rest of the city. If you had a rental car I'd say add Valley of the Fallen to your El Escorial day. You could then take the short drive to Segovia. Look on the web site for the Reina Sofia museum to check which evening it is open for free.

Posted by
7175 posts

Swing a night from Madrid to Seville.
Leave Montserrat as optional only.
Toledo is s must do for art lovers.

Day 1. Arrive Madrid - 4 nights
Day 2. Madrid - Prado & Thyssen
Day 3. Toledo day trip
Day 4. Madrid - Reina Sofia & Royal Palace
Day 5. am. El Escorial
Day 5. pm. Train to Seville - 3 nights
Day 6. Seville - Real Alcazar & Cathddral