Please sign in to post.

Rioja wine tour

I'm just now thinking about a trip to N. Spain in May/June and looking at stops based on all you wonderful helpers. But also just realized that Bilbao is not that far from Rioja and wine! This is not something I'm going to do while driving so looked up some tours from Bilbao or Vitoria (still planning but might spend nights in both), but most of those are well over 200 euro. Wineries are not the main focus of this trip so wondering if anyone knows a tour company that costs less, or if this is just the price range right now for something like this. I'm traveling alone so doing a private tour is definitely not in the budget. I've also considered staying a night in Laguardia or skipping wine country and doing a tapas tour in Bilbao if Rioja gets to be too complicated/expensive.

Posted by
635 posts

A private tour to Rioja for just one person may be expensive, as it implies the use of a vehicle and cost of gas, tolls and time is the same for 8, 4 or 1 person. You could go to Haro on the bus and visit some wineries in the Barrio de La Estación, where there are 8 wineries that you may want to visit and enjoy some tastings (my favorite one there is Gómez Cruzado, and Tondonia would be next on the list). In Laguardia there are three wineries that you can visit with centuries-old cellars, my favorite one is Casa Primicia, then Viñaspre and then El Fabulista, all inside this beautiful walled town. A pintxos (not tapas, it´s another thing here) tour in Bilbao may also be a good idea, as wine is fantastic and cheap (around 2eur a glass of excellent wine) and price of pintxos is similar. But it´s something you could try to do on your own, although the help of a local would probably be a good idea in order to understand pintxos etiquette and get to some of the best places (those in the guides tend to be very touristy and less frequented by locals).

Posted by
400 posts

Thanks, Mike. I’m looking at details now and will probably post another question soon since you’ve been so helpful with everyone asking about this part of Spain. So appreciated!