Please sign in to post.

Renfe Train Tickets

Hello All,

I’m trying to wrap of all of my planning for my upcoming March trip to Andalucia by purchasing our train tickets. I’ve read that the tickets are available 62 days in advance but I haven’t had any luck finding tickets from Madrid to Malaga for the 16th and Córdoba to Madrid on the 21st. The Renfe and Loco2 websites don’t have anything after March 4th and it’s been this way for weeks. The strange thing is I was able to purchase the Sevilla to Cordoba for March 22nd. Any thoughts?

Posted by
7827 posts

Throw out what you read this has happened before and don't worry they will show up for sale eventually. You just have to keep checking.
I was there where you are going 3 weeks ago. Sometimes there are deliberate work slowdowns or silent strikes (I am not saying that this is what is happening in this case) according to the locals that we met when one happened.

Posted by
347 posts

I checked trainline and found a few fares for the dates of interest.

BTW, it looks like it may be far more convenient to take a bus from Madrid to Malaga: 6 hours and no changes v. 12 hours and 2 changes.

Posted by
7827 posts

If you want to have this issue settled sooner than later I would recommend the bus also; but since I can't stand trips over 3 hours train or bus I would only recommend the Cordoba to Madrid part, as that is only 4 hours; the Alsa bus is pleasant and had WiFi when I took it from Seville to Granada and Granada to Malaga 3 weeks ago

Posted by
49 posts

There is an AVE train that’s 2 hours and 45 minutes that I see for the current schedule. I’m hoping to get that one

Posted by
5 posts

I've been traveling in Spain for 2 months now. In order to avoid the nonsense on the RENFE website I have been using this online site for buying train tickets. Easy Peasy. www.goeuro.com

Posted by
7827 posts

Yeah but the goeuro.com still does not show a train ticket Madrid to Malaga on March 16.

Posted by
1296 posts

I'd agree with the first response - keep checking and the express AVE tickets will show up eventually. It might seem strange that you can buy a later ticket for Sevilla-Cordoba, but that's just the way Renfe "works" - loading journeys seemingly randomly - I suspect you bought an Avant or MD train ticket, because AVE aren't there yet. The last thing I'd do is catch the coach or a slow train for this Madrid-Malaga journey, that would be a miserably long time compared to the AVE under three hours.

Don't worry, as if by magic, your train will appear at some point (possibly as late as 30 days before, though it might be later today).

Fortunately, Renfe run the trains better than they do the website.

Posted by
5581 posts

I found the loco2 and trainline sites to be more user friendly than Renfre