Please sign in to post.

Renfe Tickets

We are taking our first trip to Spain and are going to travel to multiple cites. We appear to be able to order train tickets directly from Renfe for most of the trips. It appears to even include transfers to bus on one of the routes. Is it safe to book directly from Renfe's website? We are little tentative as this is our first trip abroad using the train systems. Any advice would be appreciated!

Our trips are as follows: Madrid to Granada, Granada to Sevilla, Sevilla to Barcelona and Barcelona back to Madrid.

Posted by
4574 posts

It is the country's train website, I would think it would be safe for all the users per day. I registered and started booking yesterday. It doesn't work well for all credit cards however, but my transaction went through with no problems on my Visa card (with Verified by Visa).
it offered to charge me in Cdn funds, but as I have heard about the problems od dynamic currency conversion, I declined, but took note of their cost in Cdn. It was actualoy cheaper than the standard day rate as per XE website...I was surprised and impressed.

Posted by
265 posts

Purchased our tickets directly from Renfe Website for our trip in May this year. Paid with Paypal.

Absolutely seamless. Trains were very nice. ENJOYED the ride from Barcelona to Madrid, quite restful.

Posted by
2942 posts

Hi!

Firstly, and not to put you off, you should know the RENFE website is the least user-friendly website there is, so don't despair. Having said that, it's your best bet to book these trips as you're going to be riding "their" trains... so it's always best to go to the horse's mouth. Furthermore, although train transport is semi-liberalised, RENFE is still "the" de-facto national carrier, so is as safe as it gets.

As Maria points out, not all credit cards are accepted, but this is not an issue just with this website, it's a problem you'll encounter with many other places here in Europe as not all US-issued cards are up to the new international security standards (just yet). It has to do with the existence of different standards within the US (local, regional and national banks...). If in doubt, ask your bank letting them know you're travelling to Europe. And if you have a paypal account do use it... you'll skip the issues I mentioned.

It's not your case, I know, as the itinerary you pointed is served by RENFE, but for other readers, you should know RENFE is not the only operator in Spain. There are regional operators as well. For example, here in Catalonia we have a public company called Ferrocarrils de la Generalitat de Catalunya (or FGC as we call it) which serves several lines alongside other lines served by RENFE. Note however each company uses different tracks (hence routes) and serve different cities. For example, the visit to Montserrat from Barcelona is served by FGC. FGC is a far better company than RENFE in all aspects: trains, website, punctuality... Unfortunately, though, high-speed trains (the ones mentioned by jjkoch4) are served only by RENFE -for now.

Posted by
7 posts

All of the information is very helpful. We are also planning a day trip to Montserrat so we will check out the FGC. Thank you!

Posted by
15591 posts

This is the article everyone needs to read before planning train travel in Spain. It explains everything you need to know. Renfe accepts some US credit cards if they have an extra layer of security - for Visa it's "Verified by Visa", for Mastercard it's "Mastercard Secure". You need to sign up for it and create a password. You will probably be asked for that password during the payment process. It worked well for me on my first trip, then Capital One decided to discontinue "Secure" for its MC cards so my MC wouldn't work any longer. I used PayPal, no problems, nominal fee and well worth it for the huge savings on discounted tickets.

I would suggest a change to your itinerary . . . Madrid to Sevilla to Granada by train, then fly to Barcelona, train back to Madrid. That would save you a few hours travel time overall.