Please sign in to post.

Renfe Ave 102 train from Barcelona to Madrid

Hello,
I am looking at possibly booking train tickets from Barcelona to Sevilla, looking at Turista Plus train tickets - for September - and trying to find information on the best window view seats (full window versus partial window). Have researched a lot and no one answers this question. This is the 102/112 series. The seating map does not show this - and have seen some photos but cannot see row numbers or enough of the train car to calculate the seat rows. Anyone that can provide me with that info - or in Turista regular? Should we consider flying - taking the train for the views - is it worth it? It is actually less expensive to fly but trying to see as much as possible. We will be doing a day trip from Barcelona to Girona, we are in Barcelona 4 nights - and then in Sevilla for 3 nights and 4 nights in Madrid, day trip to Toledo - flying home from Madrid. We will be back tracking from Sevilla to Madrid - does it make sense to take the train from Barcelona to Sevilla or is not? Sorry for the scattered questions. Thanks, any feedback will be very welcomed!

Posted by
23269 posts

We see many questions about seats and windows, direction of travel, whether seats are cover in red fabric or blue, etc. The reality is that it is nearly impossible to answer any of those questions with any accuracy. The reason no one answers this question because there is no answer. We take the train for comfort. Views are secondary except for Swiss trains. In most of Europe the country side is pretty similar. Fields of grain, grass, some livestock, maybe a grape vines and olive tree orchards, but after awhile it all blends together. If you are spending this much time on seats and window, I wonder what the rest of your trip planning looks like. For us, a little flexibility makes it much easier.

Posted by
16893 posts

No, the views of Spain from that long Barcelona-Sevilla train ride are not worth spending more time and money for the trip, and especially not since you'll see half of it again (the better half) on the return to Madrid. Of course, with airport transport time on both ends and check-in processes, the flight is ultimately not much faster.

Posted by
3 posts

Thanks, both answers are helpful, have done a lot of travel in Southeast Asia but little in Europe and it has been many years. We do fly into Barcelona, four nights, plan to see all we can, we will be going to Sevilla to meet up with friends so little flexibility in terms of where we will be staying but very flexible in everything else. The train is 5 1/2 hours - air flight an hour and 40 minutes or so, but as pointed out there is getting to the airport, security, etc., Have done a lot of research – other than windows, history is my big interest, know some sites we want to see. Decided to take some time to figure out best seats and then also asked the question if is flying better. Actually, I spend a lot of time researching overall, guilty. We are flexible but need to get from point A to B. Flying is actually less expensive on our date but at the end of the day with the transfers etc., ultimately not much faster as you point out Laura. But no need to repeat seeing the same journey twice, Thanks again.

Posted by
597 posts

I'm not sure what site you are looking at but the Renfe AVE site puts the train ride around 3 hours which compares to flying plus waiting at the airport

Posted by
3 posts

I am looking at booking the train directly on the Renfe site, the shortest trip possible from Barcelona to Sevilla on their site is shown to be 5 hr 15 minutes.

Posted by
7175 posts

Barcelona to Madrid or Madrid to Sevilla by AVE train - fantastic and quick at approx 3 hrs, and much better option than flying. Barcelona to Sevilla by AVE is a far less exciting prospect - I would fly.

Posted by
4535 posts

If you like the Southwest US (west Texas, New Mexico and Arizona), you'll like the views from the train on this route. If not, it'll get old fast. The windows on the trains are large - not at all like airplane windows. I don't recall ever having a restricted view where I felt I couldn't see well.

I would consider flying. You'll save a little time - not much - but less time just sitting around. Or if you enjoy just sitting and reading then take the train. The AVE is comfortable and roomy and you can walk around.

Posted by
2942 posts

For anything and everything "train" in Europe there's a website from a former British rail manager enthusiast turned train guru that might help: www.seat61.com It has lots of info, tips and some videos too. While I doubt it'll contain such precise info as you request -as @Frank pointed out there are no answers to many of those questions- you might find other equally useful one.

http://www.seat61.com/Spain-trains.htm#What_are_Spanish_trains_like