Please sign in to post.

Prado museum

I am interested in touring the Prado museum. We're interested in art but not to the detailed level of an art student/historian. I am wondering if booking a private tour with a guide for my group of 4 is worth the cost. Private Prado Museum Tours is approximately 160E per person for a 2 hour tour. Or, is using the guide within the Rick Steves' book along with the 3.50 E audioguide sufficient?

Posted by
293 posts

I haven't been yet to the Prado (next month, so excited!), but if your interest level is more general, I would think you'd be fine with the RS book and the audio guide. I have a degree in European history and have studied a lot of art history, and I've been largely pretty impressed with the quality of the RS self-guided museum tours. The trouble comes if you're interested in a particular era or collection that he doesn't cover. You might take a look at the Prado's website to get a sense of the collections and determine if there's something that really grabs you. That way you can do your homework ahead of time and get the most out of your visit.

Caroline
P.S. I recently came across a used copy of RS' "History 101: History and Art for the Traveler." It is, by necessity, very general, but it conveys a concepts in a very clear and accessible fashion. I'm thinking about adapting some of the charts for my World History students. You might see if your local library has a copy.

Posted by
1068 posts

Hard to answer given how much info you want (i.e., how detailed--a lot of leeway between rough idea and art historian.) I did not see a guided audio tour on the RS app but you may want to look at the tour in his Spain book. Also, check the museum website and see if they have an audio tour. I have found self-guided tours were usually sufficient for what I want.

Posted by
1178 posts

I have visited the Prado several times and never had a guided tour. I have used the hand held audio guide and purchased a book about the Prado and its art work after visiting. There is a lot of art to see, and if you have a specific item or items you can ask directions from any of the attendants or when you purchase your tickets. Advice on tickets...usually there is a line at the main entrance at the far end of the building that moves quickly enough. But there is also an entrance 1/2 way down the side facing the street at what would usually be thought of as the Main Entrance.

Posted by
15591 posts

I found the audio guide sufficient to give me an appreciation of the painting I was looking at without going to a depth beyond that.

On my first visit, I chose to see the top 50 works (the museum had a flyer) and it took the better part of 6 hours. It wasn't always easy to find each work (I probably should have asked for directions more often), the museum is somewhat maze-like, and you can walk thru 3 or more rooms to a dead-end, and need to walk back. The other problem is that in trying to see a single work in a room is really hard, because you have to ignore a dozen other beautiful paintings, many with the audio guide sign.

My advice is to have an idea of what you most want to see before you go and plan it out. The Prado's website has a lot of information. Does your group need/want to stick together? You may want to split up, at least for part of your visit.

Posted by
1068 posts

To add to another poster, prior to going to the Prado I did some of my own research about paintings that were there and paintings by some of my favorite artists. That made the day much more enjoyable. It is a great museum.

Posted by
513 posts

Joel,

I too am far from an art historian. I had only one class, Art 301, in my junior year of college back in 1974... But, about 20 years ago I bought one of Rick's early books - Mona Winks - a group of self guided tours of 20 of Europe's great art museums. I took that book with me whenever I travelled to one of the cities he covered. I have been to 19 of the sites (I have not been to Versailles), some several times, and I still have that book! It is great. There is a wonderful 35 page chapter/tour of the Prado in it. I do not know if the book is still in print, but perhaps an electronic copy for your IPad or phone is available.

Posted by
27174 posts

I spent about the same time doing the entire Prado as Chani did tracking down the top 50. Mind you, there were some rooms I didn't care about, so I just walked past the paintings. And I only had the audio guide for my first visit, which made the second floor go faster. I'd suggest reading Rick's Prado commentary the night before visiting the museum, renting the audio guide, and starting in the section of the museum that most interests you. It's very likely that your time or your feet will give out before you can cover the whole thing. At least you will have seen the things you were mist looking forward to.

Incidentally, there's a special Bosch exhibition running until Sept. 11. It seems to require a timed entry ticket. I imagine it will be quite popular. His "Garden of Earthly Delights" was one of only two paintings with significant crowds in front of them during my visits.

Posted by
15591 posts

I spent about the same time doing the entire Prado as Chani did tracking down the top 50. I did see the entire Prado. For me it was just the way to keep some focus. There were a couple of "sections" that I would have liked to have more time with, but I was pretty tired by then . . . and it was getting crowded as the evening free hours had begun.

Posted by
46 posts

Hello- Forget the tours. Forget the guide books. Forget the audio guides. Just go in and enjoy your own impressions and feelings about the works. When you get home, buy a book that will give you any information you may want to know... There is a painting by Velazquez in a small room almost by itself that we happened upon and it blew me away! If I was with a guide I never would have had this "holy" experience..Have fun

Posted by
102 posts

Prado is HUGE and can be exhausting if you try to dive deeply into every piece there. I think the RS2016 did I good job of providing historical background on the most important pieces. At most rent the audio guide.

When we were in Madrid we wanted see other places outside the Prado the same day, but even on our own with a book it took us a few hours, and we still didn't get to every room!

Alternatively, before your trip watch documentaries/travel videos on the Prado (there are a lot on YouTube). Then you can absorb the information and enjoy the real thing when you're there in person.

Posted by
37 posts

While I personally probably wouldn't get the private tour, there would be the advantage of efficiency. As many people have noted, it's a big building and it could take a lot of time trying to track down the items you want to see. If you are able to focus the tour to artists/periods/type of paintings you want to see, you can probably save a few steps. Having said that, sometimes my favourite pieces of art are ones I have never heard of that I find when wandering on my own.

Posted by
134 posts

Absolutely go with Rick Steves, the price for private tour is outrageous, and actually you will learn more from Rick. I've been to the Prado many times, do you own research on Velasquez, Goya, Rubens, Bosch,download blogs and you will be all set.