Please sign in to post.

Portugal And Spain in August 2024

Hello everyone,
I just booked round trip flights from Lisbon, from Aug-4 to 21st, for a family of 2 adults and 2 kids
Our plan is to cover Lisbon --> Seville --> Madrid --> Barcelona --> Lisbon and fly out. Exact duration/dates are still to be worked out.

However, after reservations, I see numerous posts in this forum that weather in August, especially in Andulasia can be rough. I live in the South Eastern USA, and while I am no big fan of summers here, I am kind of used to it. How bad could it be in Southern Spain at this time of the year.

Should I reconsider - I dont have flexibility in terms of the time, I have to either choose late July or Month of August. However, I am not adamant on the destinations. Is northern spain and portugal worth a visit? Or should I cancel and rebook another destination, say Amsterdam. This is our first trip , so any place we go would be a new experience.

Looking forward to your help here.

Posted by
1895 posts

Hi Livemusic, and welcome to the forum.

Climate change is make weather patterns and temperature predictions harder to rely on. Yes, it is likely to be unpleasantly (or even unbearably) hot in southern Spain in July and August. But while it's typically not as hot the further north you go, there's no way to know for sure.

I'd suggest you do an internet search for some historical temperature records for the cities on your itinerary, focusing on the last few years, and see what you think.

Posted by
1697 posts

When I was planning our Andalucia trip in 2017, I read several trip reports by people who were there during the summer months. They wrote about being drenched in sweat after being outdoors for 10 minutes. They did sightseeing during the early mornings and late afternoons/early evenings, and swam in the hotel pools during the afternoon. If you stick with your current plan, please make sure to rent hotels with pools, drink plenty of water, wear hats, and use sunscreen.

We visited in September and very early October. The temps were typically in the 80's. However Seville temps were in the low to mid 90's. I've been hearing since then that September is hotter than it was when we were there due to climate change.

If you can easily change your flight reservations without a huge penalty, I would consider northern Europe at this time of year. Or France. I think Paris during the summer is cooler than Andalucia and Lisbon. We visited Paris about 10 years ago in August, and the temps were cooler than when we visited Andalucia in September. We've been to Provence in the summer, and it was more bearable than Andalucia would be. Or perhaps Lake Como and the Dolomites in Italy. Or the UK. Just some ideas.

Posted by
10 posts

I love paris, but not sure if it would be the right year to visit, especially after the olympics

Posted by
466 posts

Is northern Spain and Portugal worth a visit?

Absolutely! Much better summer weather. Beautiful beaches, fewer crowds, fantastic food, historical/cultural sites....you get the picture.

Brad

Posted by
10 posts

Is Madrid and Barcelona doable in August? If yes, we will skip Andulasia and do the rest.

I have few more hours before I can cancel the current itinerary without penalty

Posted by
136 posts

I live in Kentucky and am somewhat used to nasty summer weather. We were there is early Sept a few years back and it felt HOT!! intense is the way I would describe it.

Posted by
965 posts

Is Madrid and Barcelona doable in August? If yes, we will skip Andulasia and do the rest.
I have few more hours before I can cancel the current itinerary without penalty

Both will be crowded and hot. Doable? Sure, but if you have flexibility in your flights, and comfort is a concern (it would be my primary concern) and you could go elsewhere in Europe during August, I would keep Lisbon since it sounds like you are locked into it (?), but skip Spain, look north for the rest of your trip. If you are not locked into Lisbon, consider going elsewhere in Europe in August.

Posted by
54 posts

How well do you tolerate hot weather? How old are the children?
I have been to many, many very hot places ever since I was a young child.
Our family has always traveled a lot in the Summer.
There is humid, sticky heat (Mexican jungles), and there is dry, scorching heat (Egypt, Arizona). They are different, and can be annoying, but are tolerable if one prepares well.

Cool clothes, sunglasses, hats, and great walking shoes are all musts. Cold water to drink, pools, and air-conditioned hotels can all make the experience quite enjoyable. I support early starts for sightseeing, a long leisurely lunch, and then more activities in the cooler evening. That is more or less the way the Spanish and many other cultures handle hot days.
Last Summer Europe had a real heatwave. While we were in Greece, we actually drove right by some wildfires almost at the highway!
I have been to Spain in the Summer many times. I will be there again this August.
Are you renting a car or taking trains? Have you researched hotels with pools?
Well, I live in the mid-Atlantic, and next week we are scheduled to have multiple days in the 90's, and it is only June.

The only place really in the South on your itinerary is Sevilla.

I would not necessarily change my trip just because of hot weather, but then I actually like hot weather and beach days. The cathedrals in Spain are often cool inside if you need a break!

Posted by
3 posts

I am currently in Ronda, Spain for the month of June. For some reason nobody seems to mention Ronda much....one of the most beautiful places in Europe! I've spent extended times in various parts of Spain and highly recommend Ronda in Andalucia. Spectacular scenery over a dramatic river gorge and easy day trips to other towns in the area. Check ahead about what's going on as they seem to thrive on festivals. (Side note: Orson Welles is buried there....sort of. He was cremated and was placed at the bottom of a well on a country estate that was owned by a famous bullfighter friend of his. A favorite spot and inspiration for Hemingway also). Hot in summer just like the rest of Spain or North America. In the north, a truly lovely and fascinating place is San Sebastian. Nobody but the locals can speak the language, but I get around just fine as a solo traveler. Amusement park for the kids and great food and pretty beaches. I love Barcelona, but I think the crowds in summer are a challenge, especially with children.

I lived in Portugal for a time and it would be a shame to miss Porto.... such a wonderful place!

Posted by
8084 posts

This is an ambitious itinerary for 17 days, You need at least four days in each location, plus do day trips from Madrid to Toledo and Segovia.

If you had planned to rent a car in Portugal and drive into Spain and dropping the car in Spain, you will pay a huge drop fee.

Yes, it is hot in Spain and Portugal in the Summer, but like me you are from the US south and probably not shy about the heat. Have good hands and drink plenty of fluids.

Posted by
7049 posts

@btsandiego - actually, Ronda is very frequently mentioned on the forum. It usually is mentioned when people are traveling between Sevilla and Granada or when discussing the white villages.

Posted by
10 posts

Thank you everyone who responded!
I didnt want to take a chance since this is our first trip to Europe as a family, and ended up cancelling my tickets.
I have instead booked tickets to Zurich, and am planning for a Switzerland <--> Northern Italy itinerary.