Please sign in to post.

Please help with the itinerary for Barcelona in May 2020

This will be my first time in Barcelona. I’m very excited. I’ll be flying into Barcelona around 13.30 pm. on May 1st and heading to Granada in the early morning of May 4th. All air tickets are booked. My bad that I didn’t do enough research before booked my flight, so I end up having only 2.5 days in Barcelona.

Here are my two itineraries that I cannot decide which one is better.

First Plan,
May 1
16.00 Casa Mila (Advance Ticket) - I’ve already booked La Pedrera premium ticket which is open-date ticket.
19.00 Casa Batllo
I’ll have dinner around Passeig de Garcia.

Question
Visiting Casa Batllo at 19.00, is there enough light for shooting photos?

May2
Morning : Walking around Barri Gotic and the Cathedral
12.00 Palau de la Música Catalana
Afternoon : Explore Las Ramblas and El Born
Evening : Magic Fountain of Montjuïc

May 3
9.00 Park Guell
13.00 Hospital Sant Pau
16.00 Sagrada Familia
I would like to spend the rest of the day at Barceloneta, if it’s possible or at least having a dinner there.

Question
Should I go to Park Guell earlier than 9.00?

Second Plan,
May 1
I’m not sure that roughly 2 hours at Casa Mila is enough.
16.00 Casa Mila (Advance Ticket) - We’re already booked La Pedrera premium ticket which is open-date ticket.
21.00 Magic Fountain of Montjuïc

May2
9.00 Casa Batllo
12.00 Palau de la Música Catalana
Afternoon : Walking around Barri Gotic, the Cathedral, Las Ramblas and El Born
Evening : Barceloneta

Questions
Is Palau de la Música Catalana worth to visit?
Should I cut Palau de la Música Catalana and spend more times in Barri Gotic, El Born and Barceloneta?

May 3
9.00 Park Guell - Is it too late to go?
13.00 Hospital Sant Pau
16.00 Sagrada Familia
Preparing for an early flight tomorrow.

I need help with deciding with itineraries I should go with or any other recommendations. If you have any advice to change it.

Thank you.

Posted by
27111 posts

Are you arriving in Barcelona after an overnight flight? I would be in no condition to visit $25 tourist sights on my arrival day. I would instead try to do some outdoor sightseeing that afternoon.

About 90 minutes inside Casa Batllo and Casa Mila was right for me, except that at the time of my visit (2016) Casa Mila had a special exhibition upstairs on Gaudi's other buildings outside Barcelona. There were video clips, etc. I spent a lot of time there. Note that both of the houses will be utterly packed; you could spend all day in one of them, trying to make pictures that don't have other people in them. Don't even try.

The Sant Pau site is the one where I needed over 2 hours. It has multiple buildings and nice grounds. A couple of especially pretty rooms are upstairs in the main building, which falls at the end of the self-guided tour. You don't want to have to skip those.

I would definitely not skip the Palau de la Musica Catalana to walk around Barceloneta. I didn't find the latter all that interesting.

You have very little time in Barcelona. Do not waste any of it on the Ramblas. You'll probably end up on it at some point; there's no need to go looking for an overcrowded, pickpocket-infested commercial street.

Posted by
6 posts

Thank you very much acraven!

I will have 18 hours flight including transit time and yes, I see your point. I'll try my best to rearrange my itinerary.

I'm thinking about walking around Barri Gotic, the Cathedral and El Born on the first day as you suggest and visit Casa Batllo, Casa Mila and Palau de la Música Catalan on the second day instead. Can you please recommend time slots for all these three places?

For May 3, I'll get to Park Guell early so I'll have more times at Hospital Sant Pau.

Thank you again.

Posted by
3904 posts

You should also know that May 1st is Labour Day in Europe. In Barcelona, and the rest of Spain, it is a public holiday for us. A number of shops and restaurants will be closed, but it should not be a problem in the main touristy centre. Most major tourist attractions will be open, but smaller museums and attractions may close early. You may encounter a delay in public transport, albeit slight, you may also encounter some manifestation/blockade actions by labour and/or separatist groups.

As acraven mentions, May 1st is a good day to just walk around and explore, especially since it is a public holiday.

Posted by
27111 posts

In my experience, Casa Batllo and Casa Mila are more crowded than the Palau de la Musica Catalana (tour capacity is limited; book in advance to be sure you're on an English tour). Casa Batllo was a bit worse than Casa Mila for me. I'd buy a first-time-slot ticket for one of the two houses, then hit the second house, then find food (lunch is late in Barcelona), then take the tour at the Palau de la Musica Catalana. I wish I knew whether the Gaudi exhibition at Casa Mila is a permanent thing. Without it, you'd probably be fine booking the second house 2 or 2-1/4 hours after the first. It will take longer to get down to the Palau de la Musica Catalana, and you'll need to get food before taking the tour there, so I'd try for a longer gap after the second stop. Length of the gap needs to take your eating preferences into account. Will you grab a pre-made sandwich or sland somewhere, or will you take advantage of an interesting-looking Menu del Dia you see advertised along the way?

Since Casa Batllo is closer to the Palau de la Musica Catalana than Casa Mila, there's something to be said for starting at Casa Mila. However, the first thing to do is check the hours of the English tours at the PdlMC. I don't think the tour takes more than an hour; it might be less than that.

Posted by
6 posts

Thank you so much Carlos.
I'm aware of Labour day so at first I chose to go to some Casa because it's open on that day. However, as you and acraven suggested that I should do outdoor sightseeing. After consideration, I agree to wander around Barri Gotic and El Born.

Also, Thank you once again to acraven.
I think I have to start with Casa Batllo and then Casa Mila, since I got an open-time ticket at this casa. For Palau de la Música Catalana, the English tours continue until 15.00. I can have lunch before I get there.

Thanks to both of you, my solid plan is coming!