Please sign in to post.

Planning Spain/Portugal Trip for Oct 2018

Just in the beginning stages of planning our next vacation, and since you were all so helpful this past year with Italy, I figured I'd pick your brains again. I'm thinking it'll be Portugal & Spain, but nothing is carved in stone yet.

Vacation will be 2-3 weeks (probably closer to 2), and I'm hoping to start compiling a good list of must see places, as well as the out of the way "real deal" places.

We will hopefully be flying out of Oakland, since I believe they now (or will have) inexpensive, direct flights to Barcelona.

Not sure how we will split the time yet, suggestions are definitely welcome. We don't like to be too rushed, some down time can be a good thing. That said, we don't want to waste time either, optional day trips are enjoyable.

Lodging, we prefer to stay in smaller venues, with a more authentic feel, as opposed to the high rise 5 star joints.

We love to explore, appreciate history, and enjoy authentic ethnic cuisine.

I prefer not to rent a car, unless it's really necessary. We traveled by train in Italy, and it was a great experience. The more we can travel by train, the better.

Not really into hanging at the beach, but if the beach is nearby, that's fine...hard not to appreciate beautiful scenery.

So please tell me where to start, your feedback is most appreciated. This may also posted on the Portugal forum, figured it's best to keep the discussions separate.

Posted by
483 posts

Do you have any ideas on things you want to see at all? Churches, museums, art, food, scenery, culture, religion, etc. Festivals?

I'm planning something similar, but for April, and it's going to be figuring some order for 4 nights in Barcelona, 4-5 in Madrid, see the Alhambra, Sevilla, Cordoba, and maybe Porto, but I haven't thought it through that much, with Italy departure next month. But I know that my interests are art, architecture, culture, some history, and above all, food. Wife and I do like to check off art work that we've always wanted to see, so we may seem like checklist-selfie folks, but it's really not like that. And we like to have some slow days to explore and wine and dine. So, I know what I (and wife) like, which guides where I go.

What draws you to Spain and or Portugal?

Posted by
9 posts

Hi I am traveling solo next September and October 2018 and have already been to Barcelona with my husband . I am planning to travel to Spain and Portugal then finish with Paris and Amsterdam - all up approx looking at 5-6 weeks.
This is my itinerary so far ...I am traveling form Australia so have 2 stopovers on the way over and back . I always use airbnb's and viator for day trips. Most of my travel will be train by train.
Fly into Madrid
Madrid- 5 days ( day trip to Torledo)
Granada- 2 days
Malaga - 3 days
Seville – 4 days ( day trip to Cordoba)
fly to Seville
Lisbon 4 days ( day trip to Sintra)
Porto 3 days ( day trip to Guimaraes)
Fly to Pris
Paris- 6 days
Amsterdam- 6 days

I have tried to make the stays long enough to relax and maybe do a day trip.

Posted by
15602 posts

Spain is a large country. Its area is about 20% larger than California, just shaped differently. Its terrain is as varied and its history is about as many millennia as California's is centuries. If you look closely in California, you can see Native American, Russian, Chinese and maybe other influences. In Spain the differences between regions (Catalonia, Andalucia, Galicia, etc.) smack you in the face.

If flights are going to be your determining factor, see where you can easily fly home from. Open-jaw flights allow you to travel in a line. Round-trip flights usually mean backtracking. The only "good" way to get from Spain to Portugal is by flying to Lisbon, or may be Porto. The are no fast trains between the countries, and the roads mean long hours on a bus. Flying open-jaw into Spain and out of Portugal may also reduce your flight choices.

Pick up a guide book for Spain and see what most interests you. I like the DK Eye Witness guides because they have lots of photos which gives me a better idea of what might interest me.

Posted by
7175 posts
  1. ARRIVE Madrid (5N)
  2. Madrid
  3. Day to Toledo
  4. Madrid
  5. Day to Segovia
  6. Train to Seville (4N)
  7. Seville
  8. Day to Cordoba & Mezquita
  9. Seville
  10. Pick up car & drive via Arcos de la Frontera to Ronda (2N)
  11. Day to pueblos blancos
  12. Drive to Granada (2N) & return car
  13. Visit Alhambra
  14. Fly to Barcelona (4N)
  15. Barcelona
  16. Barcelona
  17. Barcelona
  18. DEPART Barcelona